Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie7 Final Due In October

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

Just got an email from Microsoft - IE7 is to go final in October. The "kicker" is that they're giving you until 1 November to ensure that you have the update blocked if you don't want it - otherwise it'll be force fed to you!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/updateman...nouncement.mspx

Internet Explorer 7 Blocker Toolkit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:37 PM

So which version of Internet Explorer is the most secure and the least buggy, Number 7 or number 6 with Service Pack 1?

What are the pros and cons of IE7?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:04 AM

Like a vast number of users, I only use IE when I have to. I have been using IE7 for quite a while and prefer it to IE6. Tabbed browsing is the biggest new feature for me. Still get the occasional crash but probably no more than previously. I can't really think of a valid reason not to upgrade. It is a necessary evil so you may as well have the newest version.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:44 AM

I highly doubt I'll install it right away. Will wait for a bit more so all the kinks are worked out first.

#5 esdog

esdog

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:15 AM

I have also been using it for a fair while. I have been using it as my default browser and must say that i am very happy with it.
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, on others I let her sleep in.

#6 loveablekitty

loveablekitty

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

I have the UN genuine vers of micro-soft XP sp2 IE6 ( my default) will the new IE7 be affected by this? will I have a prob with the installing of IE7 ? I notice that the IE7 is now on the toolbar but I have heard that there an hijack version out there too with very very bad stuff that hits your CP.
L-KIT
Remember, if you haven't got a smile on your face and
laughter in your heart......Then you are just an old sour fart.

#7 cowboy357

cowboy357

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:45 AM

I hope I,m not stepping on anyones toes. but I found this very interesting. Posted by Humpty on the ccleaner site. Quote:

Trojan Poses as IE7 Download

OCTOBER 18, 2006 | If you get an email from support@microsoft.com with a link to Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1, don't go there: A trojan downloader will get installed and set up a backdoor into your computer.

The spoofed message's link takes you to a site that looks convincingly similar to a Microsoft page, but don't be fooled. The trojan installs via an IE browser vulnerability, according to SurfControl, which is tracking the malicious message and its spread around the Net. The scam is especially timely -- Microsoft IE7's availability is imminent and users are preparing for the release to hit later this month. (See Anti-Malware Tools Trip Up IE7 Install.)

Downloaders are among the most prolific types of trojans today and are popular with spammers because they are relatively small pieces of code. Their job is to avoid detection and typically to disable AV and firewalls and then download more malware code.

Article
Yer Only gonna be as happy, as You decide to be . Cowboy

#8 cowboy357

cowboy357

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

Sorry heres the link to the article. Cowboy http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?do...;WT.svl=news1_1
Yer Only gonna be as happy, as You decide to be . Cowboy

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

I have the UN genuine vers of micro-soft XP sp2 IE6 ( my default) will the new IE7 be affected by this? will I have a prob with the installing of IE7 ? I notice that the IE7 is now on the toolbar but I have heard that there an hijack version out there too with very very bad stuff that hits your CP.
L-KIT

Yes - you will probably be denied access to downloads from Microsoft

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:53 AM

I hope I,m not stepping on anyones toes. but I found this very interesting. Posted by Humpty on the ccleaner site. Quote:

Trojan Poses as IE7 Download

OCTOBER 18, 2006 | If you get an email from support@microsoft.com with a link to Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1, don't go there: A trojan downloader will get installed and set up a backdoor into your computer.

The spoofed message's link takes you to a site that looks convincingly similar to a Microsoft page, but don't be fooled. The trojan installs via an IE browser vulnerability, according to SurfControl, which is tracking the malicious message and its spread around the Net. The scam is especially timely -- Microsoft IE7's availability is imminent and users are preparing for the release to hit later this month. (See Anti-Malware Tools Trip Up IE7 Install.)

Downloaders are among the most prolific types of trojans today and are popular with spammers because they are relatively small pieces of code. Their job is to avoid detection and typically to disable AV and firewalls and then download more malware code.

Article

The release will come through Microsoft or Windows Update.

#11 loveablekitty

loveablekitty

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:27 PM

thank you Enthusiast, guess I better get to that blocking toolkit. Dang microsoft their forcing us to BUY that damn register copy grrrrrrrr
Remember, if you haven't got a smile on your face and
laughter in your heart......Then you are just an old sour fart.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• Topic Starter

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:07 AM

IE7 is a significant step forward for Microsoft. It still has it's problems, but it's too early to say if it's more or less secure than Firefox. Additionally, it has (at least in Vista) a "protected" zone way of functioning that helps to prevent malware from getting on your system.

I'm an avid Firefox user and only use IE for Windows Updates. I used it in Vista for a while, but switched back to Firefox because it was easier for me to use.

All in all, I'd say that I'd use IE7 in Vista if I wasn't hooked on Firefox! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

I received this notice today from MSFT downloads for IE7
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downlo...spx?mg_id=10013
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:25 PM

So which version of Internet Explorer is the most secure and the least buggy, Number 7 or number 6 with Service Pack 1?

What are the pros and cons of IE7?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Wealth of info about IE 7 here.

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do...;intsrc=kc_feat

#15 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

Excellent link thanks Boopme.

Am going to try the Star Downloader as most of IE downloads are sooooo slow compared with FF and Opera.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users