Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card / Power Supply Problem.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jlovell

jlovell

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

Heya Bleeping Computer! Got a little problem.

Okay, so I have a weird noise coming out of my Power Supply (Atleast I think). It's like a wheezing/high pitch whistle (sounds a bit like letting air out of a tire or balloon.. pretty loud, can block it with headset, but it's annoying)

The weird thing is.. it only happens when I use my Geforce 6800XT video card.

I have:

* Checked all fans (not the problem)
* Removed fan from Videocard, (still noise)
* Taken Video Card out (no noise)
* Put in a different video card (no noise)

I just recently bought this card. (2 days), and I was a bit weary on the Watts required to run this bad boy. I currently have a 420watt PSU and the box says it requires minimum 500watts. Yesterday, I installed this card and everything was fine, except for my CD/DVDROM was not showing up in "My Computer", so I went and googled it and found a fix for it not displaying and had to replace something in my regristry. Everything worked fine.. until about 15 minutes later, I was just about to go to bed and then I hear this whistling noise then a *pop* noise (at least I think). So naturally.. I run over there, feel my video card and it's hot as hell. I'm too tired to bother with it so I unplug everything and go to bed.

I wake up this morning and try and work on it. Everything is working A-OK (Nothings damaged) except for this loud buzzing/whining noise. It's NONE of my fans, as I've checked them all. I can't tell if its coming from my PSU or my videocard. It's not the fan on my video card. When I take my Video Card out the sound goes away, when I put it back in, it's back! So I'm stuck here either wondering if I should return the card ( i have nothing to replace it ATM) or I should consider replacing my PSU.

I would really appreciate the help, greatly. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Video Card: Geforce 6800XT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

TBH, I'd replace the PSU (Power Supply Unit) first. While you may have more than enough watts to run the card, you might not have enough amperage to keep up with the cards demands. I've had this happen to me, I had (have) a card that requires a minimum 400W PSU, and I had a 450W PSU, so I thought I was good. However, the card required 18 amps on the +12v line, and I had just 18 amps, but it was a cheap power supply, and it wouldn't run my card. It was all pixelated and nothing looked right, and it would overheat and shut off! I replaced the PSU with a much better one and the problem(s) went away!

BTW, you should [/i]NEVER remove the fan from your video card, unless you're upgrading it to a better one. Overheating your card will surely damage it.

Now, even if you replace the PSU, and that's not it, you'll still be better off in the long run with a better quality power supply, so it won't be a waste of money.

Also, make sure that the line that goes from the power supply to the video card is a stand alone line, meaning that there's nothing else on it, not even a fan or a cd drive, nothing. I learned that here on these forums, and it's good sound advice IMHO!

I'd search for a power supply that has at least 20 amps on the +12v line, and is at least 550 watts. Just my opinion. It'll be upwards of $100, but money well spent! Stay away from cheap ones that say they have high watts and high amperage, as they're just that...cheap, and probably won't work well for you.

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 jlovell

jlovell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

TBH, I'd replace the PSU (Power Supply Unit) first. While you may have more than enough watts to run the card, you might not have enough amperage to keep up with the cards demands. I've had this happen to me, I had (have) a card that requires a minimum 400W PSU, and I had a 450W PSU, so I thought I was good. However, the card required 18 amps on the +12v line, and I had just 18 amps, but it was a cheap power supply, and it wouldn't run my card. It was all pixelated and nothing looked right, and it would overheat and shut off! I replaced the PSU with a much better one and the problem(s) went away!

BTW, you should [/i]NEVER remove the fan from your video card, unless you're upgrading it to a better one. Overheating your card will surely damage it.

Now, even if you replace the PSU, and that's not it, you'll still be better off in the long run with a better quality power supply, so it won't be a waste of money.

Also, make sure that the line that goes from the power supply to the video card is a stand alone line, meaning that there's nothing else on it, not even a fan or a cd drive, nothing. I learned that here on these forums, and it's good sound advice IMHO!

I'd search for a power supply that has at least 20 amps on the +12v line, and is at least 550 watts. Just my opinion. It'll be upwards of $100, but money well spent! Stay away from cheap ones that say they have high watts and high amperage, as they're just that...cheap, and probably won't work well for you.

Hope this helps!

I will look into getting a new power supply. I'm not really sure when I will have the money to get one, but do you think this noise can be really harmful to my computer / video card? I really don't have anything to replace it with, but for the mean time I can unplug my CDROM to save on some power, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply. :thumbsup:

Lovell

#4 jlovell

jlovell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:05 PM

also, I don't think this is good.

Posted Image

edit* if I open any game it boosts up to over 105. Could the powersupply be causing some overheating problem?

Edited by jlovell, 19 October 2006 - 03:25 PM.

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:22 PM

95C is pretty darn hot. I'd look in t oa new video card for the moment. If you're sure the fans are alright. The only thing making that noise could be the Hard drive, or PSU?

But I'd look into getting a new PSU.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:34 AM

Wow....you said that you know for a fact that your fan on your video card is working....double check it just to be safe. Check it when you're running a game that will stress the video card a bit (Battlefield 2, F.E.A.R. etc.) and then check the fan to ensure that it's running.

It seems as if the fan on the card is shutting off, or not working at all, because your temp is way to high. You can try to return the card, but if it were me, I'd change out the psu first.

Hope it helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users