Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Mb/cpu/gpu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

Howdy all,

I am looking at upgrading my CPU and MB to Core 2 Duo, and upgrading my GPU to a GX2 or possibly X1950XT simultaneously.

If I put it together, connect my peripherals and components (including my HDD), will it boot to a point where I am able to load both motherboard and GPU drivers? (ie. to carry on without a fresh install of windows?)

The main reason is that if I do another complete reinstall, I think my missus will stab me to death! lol.

Let me know what you guys think... :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Silivar

Silivar

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

It should be fine. Any chipset drivers shouldn't be necessary for a successful boot. Nothing would be stored on the hard drive in that manner, so drivers don't mean much there. Only issue would be drivers for your ethernet, audio, etc. Anything that's integrated. However, you can boot to Windows without those, and install them from an included disk.

If Windows has a driver for the GPU, it'll install it on boot. If not, the GPU will run on a standard VGA driver until one is installed. Either way, no problem.

Main thing to watch out for is that all your current hardware is compatible. RAM, particularly. If you get a motherboard that uses DDR2 RAM, standard DDR won't work. If you're using an IDE hard drive, make sure to get one with enough IDE channels for anything related to that. If you use an SATA hard drive, make sure the motherboard has SATA ports, though that's pretty standard.

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

Cheers! I've already got DDR2-533, and SATAII, so there should be no dramas. Fortunately I still have the drivers CD for my sound card.

So where do the chipset drivers get stored if not on the HDD? I thought that's where they went....

Edited by JPHarvey, 18 October 2006 - 07:20 PM.

[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

If you're thinking of just moving the hard drive with XP to the new system - be very, very careful!!! Likely it will BSOD on you as soon as you boot it up.

Here's a couple of things to minimize the problems:
1) Use similar hardware whenever possible.
2) Remove all hardware that will change in Device Manager and then shut down (do not reboot). Put the drive in the new system and pray that it recognizes all the new stuff and installs it correctly.
3) Alternatively, you can just boot straight into a repair install of XP ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm )

Here's a good article about moving XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

Thanx John, I'll take the time to have a look...

Justin ;)
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:54 AM

FWIW - my experience with this is limited to using similar hardware (I'm old and set in my ways! :thumbsup:

I've done all the different ways that I described - and the worst case is that I've had to run a repair install to ensure that it was fixed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users