Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On Going Problem...trying To Diagnose

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kable

kable

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

hey guys, i've posted my problem here before...

"My computer has been running extremely slow, especially when loading programs and starting up. This has happened before but a reformat fixes it. This obviously leads me to believe it is a software problem. The problem comes back after a while so I want to identify the problem rather than constantly reformatting. I have run several anti-virus and spyware programs and I am 99% sure that is not the problem. The Windows startup sound even skips. If I try to listen to music or any sound while a program is loading it skips like crazy making it impossible to listen to. When the program is done loading it usually skips every couple of seconds which becomes extremely annoying. Safe mode runs smoothly with no slowdowns. This has been going on for months now and is definitely not a temporary problem. Below are details on my computer and attempts I have made to fix the problem.

The computer has automatic updates enabled and is up to date on all of the updates. This goes for all virus programs etc."

i am going to reformat and take notes along the way to diagnose the problem. i was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on what i might look at or steps i might take to try and figure this out.

here is webpage i put up detailing the problem including pictures of my processor speed, computer specs, etc etc.

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

http://www.madisonpharmacy.com/c/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:14 PM

If you reformat there will be nothing to diagnose or fix.

Do you want to fix the system or reload it?

By the way, you have McAfee partially disabled in the registry keys. Was that intentional?

You also have marginal free space on your hard drive. You really need 15% free space for XP to function properly.

Also, if you disable indexing on the drive it may speed things up.

Have you tried doing disk cleanup and deleting your temp files recently? To do it press the "Disk Cleanup" button and when the list populates allow it to delete temp files and clean the recycle bin.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 October 2006 - 10:26 PM.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

How much RAM do you have on your computer? Adobe Photoshop uses a lot of RAM, and when opening and closing will use a lot of CPU. After it's been open for a while, the CPU usage should go way down.

What size pagefile do you have?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

several items come to mind

1. not enough free space to defragment the hard drive

go here: http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

read the instructions and the clean up your HDD..

once this is done

click start run type in "defrag C: -b" and hit enter let us know if the alleviates your issues.

2 there are still portions of aol still running if aol is not your internet service provider, I recommend that you uninstall all aol programs, including the screensaver, portmagic and viewpoint media player.

3 select another internet security suite mcafee is resource intensive, and has been known to cause the problems that you are mentioning. bit defender comes to mind, as does avast and avg free.

OF
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:50 PM

If you use the software from here:
http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

Do Not Delete The Files In Your Prefetch Folder!
That will only slow the computer's time for opening programs down.

#6 kable

kable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:29 PM

i am trying to diagnose the problem but everything i have done seems to be useless. the problem has been occuring before i had this hard drive so full. however, i have moved my music folder [15 gigs] to an external drive and i will delete the folder on my C: i will run defrag tonight and let you know how things went.

i installed a new version of mcafee which came out about a week ago, it slowed my computer down so much i tried to remove it but didnt have too much success. so yeah, i suppose i am aware that it is disabled. i want it gone.

i already ran cleanup several times before this post but with the default options. the default options has the del prefetch files option checked so its too late for that.

i have 1 gig of ram but photoshop alone is not the problem, like i said startup sound is skipping and photoshop is not loading on startup.

additonally, i have indexing off.

my problem seems to be unrelated to these types of problems. i have for the most part cleaned up everything and there is no reason my comptuer should be running this slow. i am at a loss. thats why i was going to reformat and try and document everything before and after to try and find the problem.

tonight what ill do is free up a lot of space. i removed photoshop, acrobat reader and my mp3 folder. i will defragment and run all the cleaner programs i can and get back to you.

thanks for your help guys.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:26 AM

Only a part of McAfee is disabled.

You need to run its uninstaller to get rid of it and I suggest AVG free instead.

AVG:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

The best suggestion for you right now is to run Windows One Care Free Scan.

Reboot your computer and go to the Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

Ity will defrag your hard drive and straighten out your registry to a point. It may even resolve your problem, but even if it can't it's worthwhile to do.

Start it, get it to the point it doesn't need input from you, and let it run, possibly overnight.

Make sure you use Internet Explorer and allow it to download its Active X applet and its operational files.

More advice:
You need a functioning AV program running in the background on your computer.
Download AVG or one of the other freeware offerings, and uninstall McAfee completely. You might have to download an uninstaller from them - I am not familiar with their newest bloatware.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:48 AM

to uninstall mcafee completely, F Protect has a tool here is the link

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninsta...ller-Tool.shtml
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 kable

kable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

i think i was finally able to get mcafee off using their uninstaller, you had to install a few of their things before it gave you an option to install the bulk of it.

i am going to get AVG as that was suggested by a few people to me. i paid for mcafee for 2 years but if it sucks it sucks, i'll cut my losses.

i thought i had disabled the indexing service via services.msc. however when i right click on the C: drive and click properties it says it is still enabled. i unchecked this last night and it went through a whole scan. this was also after deleting 15 gigs or so...right now i have 24 gigs free and 46 used. the comptuer does seem to run a bit smoother and does not lag/skip as long, however it is still there. i will try live one care to defragment and hopefully something works out.

do you think i need that avg right now if im only trying to diagnose this problem and not downloading any programs besides anti-virus ones?

i am going to run a defrag now. would checking the box 'compress drive c: to save space" help me at all?

Edited by kable, 19 October 2006 - 11:30 AM.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:13 PM

If you are on the internet you need AVG or whatever other anti-virus you like, operational and automatically updating, and you need it immediately.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

A format "fixes" your problems because it restores everything to "like new". Then, when you add stuff it gradually degrades things for numerous different reasons.

You need an antivirus solution, an antispyware solution, and maybe even a software firewall. Good programs are available for free and should be used if cost is a factor for you. I use AVG Free, Windows Defender beta, and the last freeware version of the Sygate Personal Firewall.

Stay away from tweaking utilities and registry cleaners unless you specifically need one for a particular reason - often they cause more damage than good (especially if overused).

With the advent of the Windows One Live Care ( http://safety.live.com/ ) utility, most maintenance functions can be taken care of automatically. But once again, overdoing it can cause more problems than it fixes.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 kable

kable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

McAfee Virus Scan, McAfee Stinger, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner, CleanUp!, Disk Defragmenter, Disk Cleanup, Windows Disk Error-Checking

i've run all these programs, including the windows one live care, what more can i do? i am going to reformat to try and find out specifically what the problem is by watching the changes. my computer is up to shape pretty much but there is obviously something here and i am trying to find it. the antivirus, antispyware/firewall has not worked out so well for me so far.

#13 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:43 AM

I personally do not allow my hard disk to to have less than 35% free space. Whatever they say about 15% being adequate for clean up, system restore, defrag, etc. is simply not so. I would buy a 200 gb hard drive and clone your disk.
phantazy

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:30 AM

McAfee Virus Scan, McAfee Stinger, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner, CleanUp!, Disk Defragmenter, Disk Cleanup, Windows Disk Error-Checking

From looking at this list, I'd suspect that you have "overcleaned" and "overprotected" your system.

Also, what are the system specifications? How much RAM, how fast a processor, what kind of mobo, how many startup items and processes do you have running, etc? You can use this free (no installation required) tool to generate a system report: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

My opinions:
-McAfee Virus Scan - too many problems to be used
-McAfee Stinger - only needed if you've identified the problem it's designed for
-Windows Defender - good, but still in beta (and I've had problems with it)
-Ad-Aware - a good program but haven't had to use it for quite some time
-Spybot Search and Destroy - another good program, but it's overaggressive use (and the Tea Timer) can cause problems
-CCleaner - another good program, but you can really hose your system with it!
-CleanUp! - haven't heard of this one
-Disk Defragmenter - The Windows tool is a good one
-Disk Cleanup - The Windows tool is a good one
-Windows Disk Error-Checking - The Windows tool is a good one.

- Windows Live One Care Scan. We've just recently started recommending this tool here, and the preliminary results seem to indicate that it's a good tool. It combines 4 features (malware detection, registry cleaner, disk cleanup, and defragmentation) into one easy to use package. I've used it on my systems and the wife is currently running it for the first time on her system. But, as with any other tool, it's overuse can cause problems.

Once we've found out your system specs, we can make some more detailed recommendations.

Edited by usasma, 22 October 2006 - 06:31 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 kable

kable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

http://www.madisonpharmacy.com/c/

i posted details about my system on there. pics of processor speed, specs, everything you should need for now. i downloaded that program but i'm not sure what specs would be best for me to output to post on here. any thoughts?

thanks

connor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users