Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc To Pc Direct Connectiion

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stubbles

stubbles

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

I am trying to transfer some files from my powerspec5780 to my new eMachines T6048, and my oldie sets me up okay and takes me past the "direct connecrion" selection box, but the new pc has that box dimmed out, even though on the previous screen I choose the option for a null modem serial-to-serial connection.

The cable is new. My old pc gets to where it's ready to make the connection, but the new one cannot get that far. It seems I need the new one to undim that one selection box. The new one has XP Media Center, and the oldie has XP Home Edition. TIA

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 18 October 2006 - 02:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:01 PM

Have you used the network setup wizard on both computers and allowed file sharing on both?

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

Also how are you connecting them exactely??

Did you plug in an ethernet cable from one ethernet card to the other? This will not work to do this you would need a crossover cable or a router.

#4 stubbles

stubbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:09 PM

I plugged in the null modem cable into the serial ports of both pcs. No cards, just the cable. My old pc recognizes the connection and is waiting for my new pc to tell it what port to use, I think. It's on com1.

I tried changing ports, but was afraid to go too far, so I stopped. The problem seems to be with the new pc, because for some reason it blanks out the direct connection box and so I cannot select that like I can on my old pc.

TIA

#5 stubbles

stubbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:21 PM

Enthusiast, let me check on that. It may be the new pc is not set to share files. Thanks. I'll get back with you.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

If this is just a one time thing - it may be simpler to copy the stuff to removable media and walk it over to the other PC.

If it's an exercise to see if you can do it - then I applaud your efforts, but unfortunately can't help on this one.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 stubbles

stubbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:47 PM

Enthusiast,
File-sharing was on for both pcs. For some reason, the emachine will not let me click on the handshaking button like the Powerspec does. Any ideas how to turn it on?

#8 stubbles

stubbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

John,
Good point, but I had already thought about that. The clerk at Fry's said floppies were no longer in use, in explanation of why his emachine had no floppy dd.

I tried to save my files on an cd-RW drive, it demanded a dvd.

I bought some dvds-RW - it demanded a dvd-R.

I bought some dvds-R and saved my files on Quicken to one.

I installed the program, which is on a cd, onto the new pc.

I will try it soon, but I don't want to transfer my old pc files/programs using dvd-Rs. Direct cable-to-cable would be the best thing, if I could only find out how to turn on the @@&*#??*&%% button on the emachine!

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

Sorry, but I haven't had the need to use a direct cable connection - so I can't help with that.

Do the systems both have USB ports? If so, a thumb drive could be used to transfer the files. Or you could purchase a USB hard drive and use it to transfer the stuff - then retain the USB drive as a place to keep system backups.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:57 PM

you could also try a usb to ide cable it works great for transfering files from one drive to another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users