Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should A Motherboard Be So Touchy?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Silivar

Silivar

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

Looks like I spoke too soon in the other thread. Now I've got a different problem, so I figured I should make a seperate thread for it. If that's a problem, go ahead and merge the two.

Anyway..

Everything was working fine after I thought I worked it out last night, but it's still extremely sensitive. with the position my case is currently in, I need to turn it a bit to get to the CD-ROM. I did that, and the PC restarts on me. Run a memory test, same problems show up again.

So, now it seems like it's the positioning of the case, rather than the motherboard mounting. The motherboard seems really sensitive to the position of the case. I noticed something odd about the case since I got it. It doesn't sit completely level. Only two of the case feet are hitting the desk at any given time. I'm not sure if it's the case or the desk, but I plan to check that out soon. Even if that's the case, should a motherboard be so touchy about the way the case sits?

I suppose it's a good thing, since it means the hardware isn't completely shot. Just very sensitive. the wya it's sitting now, it seems to be working fine, but I need to move it to load my motherboard drivers. I had to reinstall Windows, since I think I may have had a bad installation with the RAM acting up during the last time.

Another thought that came to mind. I was thinking about the way the wires are all over in my case. I can't keep them under control. If one of the wires loose in the case is touching the motherboard, could that cause this problem? It would fit with the way movement causes a problem. Though I don't know if that would cause the problem at all.

Once again, any help is appriciated. This is getting way too annoying.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:41 PM

So, now it seems like it's the positioning of the case, rather than the motherboard mounting. The motherboard seems really sensitive to the position of the case. I noticed something odd about the case since I got it. It doesn't sit completely level. Only two of the case feet are hitting the desk at any given time. I'm not sure if it's the case or the desk, but I plan to check that out soon. Even if that's the case, should a motherboard be so touchy about the way the case sits?

The motherboard shouldn't care which way the case sits. You should be able to turn the case upside down without any adverse effect. My first guess would be the big power-cord going to the motherboard; that it might not sit properly.

Another thought that came to mind. I was thinking about the way the wires are all over in my case. I can't keep them under control. If one of the wires loose in the case is touching the motherboard, could that cause this problem?

A cable touching the motherboard shouldn't make a difference.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users