Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Editing Topic Title

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:24 PM

Lawrence(Grinler): Just a suggestion. when a member makes an error or want to edit the topic title, it would be nice if the member has the allowance to make amend without bothering the moderator or global moderator, thus saves time & energy that we all do not have enough of . Thank you. YOYO. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

You have 24 hours to edit your topic :thumbsup:

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

Doesn't a reply to a topic posted, negate the 24 hour ability to edit? :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:07 PM

Sorry Grins,
Once a title is posted the member cannot modifiy it.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:24 AM

Lawrence: Thank you for your response. Per what Animal and KoanYorel posted, add reply to topic posted does negate the 24hour ability to edit the content, and posted title can not be edited. I hope you will consider my suggestion and KoanYorel will be most appreciative too(than I do not have to keep on bothering him for every little thing that I should be able to do for myself). One more thing if I may::YOU HAVE ABSOLUTLY THE BEST PEOPLE ON EARTH, THE CREAM OF THE CROP- HERE IN BCFORUM!! AND I AM LEARNING SO MUCH FROM EVERYBODY! EVERYBODY HAS BEEN WONDERFUL! THE OVER FLOW OF INTELLECT, WARMTH, HUMOUR, FUN, SUPPORT, KNOWLEDGE, AND COHESIVENESS HAS BEEN TREMENDOUS!! Thank you FOR EVERYTHING( AND I am very thankful FOR FELLOW wibble: KOANYOREL-he is indispensable!)Lawrence. Take care. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by KoanYorel, 21 October 2006 - 11:04 PM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:28 AM

Doesn't a reply to a topic posted, negate the 24 hour ability to edit? :thumbsup:

Not from my experience. I just looked at one of my topics to be certain, and I have 4 posts that I can edit, including the last one, which means that three posts that have replies after them I can still edit. :flowers: However, titles cannot be edited excepting by a moderator or administrator.

Orange Blossom :trumpet:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:59 AM

:thumbsup: Lawrence: Topic title is very clear cut, once it is posted, it can not be edited. Now, of the body of the message intent is where confusion lingers. Firstly, my understanding from you is that the topic posted can be edit withthin 24 hours. From my experiences or observation : the author of the topic has the ability to edit the topic after it is posted, and when "add reply" attaches, the host message's ability to edit is curtailed. Therefore: new postings, be it new topic or new"add reply" has the capacity to edit. When "add reply" attaches to host message, the host message than looses the ability to edit and the new "add reply" has the capacityto edit until next "add reply" arrives. The cycle begins all over again when "add reply" arrives. There seem to be a time constraint placed on this "time window when editing can take place". Thus,in general the window for editing closes for the host message when "add reply"attaches to host message. There seems, to be a pre determined time factor that controls how long you have to perform an editing. For the original new topic ,its timeframe for editing appears to be longer. For the" add reply", it appear to be shorter. Now, I have noted there had been times after adding an "add reply", I could not edit. And, in posting "add reply" in HijackThis, the time window for editing appears extremly short lived. Hence, it appears you can edit as long you are within this set "tme window for editing", if you miss this time window, you would not be able to edit. I know this is getting really, really muddy. Once and for all, can someone clarify this issue please. Thank you very much. Don't ask me to explain this ever again, I do not know whats going on here with this editing business. I am very confused. Please help. YOYO :inlove: :cool: :P B) :flowers: :) :trumpet: :)

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

Lol...little do i know. Does not look like I can do anything about it then. Sorry all :thumbsup: Be careful with your titles!

#9 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

:thumbsup: Lawrence: Thanks for your response. You did what you can and thats all you can do. I keep on run into "l.o.l"---I am not familiar with that- what does that stand for? In addition: there is something puzzling: when I attempted to sent a PM to KoanYorel-I encountered a glitch?, I keep on entering his name as recipient - it would keep on tell me there is an error that their isn't a person by that name. I end up switching the recipient name to jgweed-than it accetped and it finally was able to send the PM for me. Thanks. YOYO(a proud card wearer of the name:wibble). :flowers: :trumpet:

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

LOL is an abbreviation for "Laughing out loud."
Koan is often considered a figment of our imagination, but you may have spelled his name incorrectly (or added a space between the n and the k).
In any event, all the moderators are always here to help.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

John: When I was sending the PM,with the persisting message of no such person - I was beginning to think that he may have been a figment of my imagination! Placing a space between N&Y was exactly what had happened. THANK YOU FOR BEING THERE FOR ME. I SURE APPRECIATE YOU. YOU REALLY MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. CHEERS. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

Computers can both be exacting and unforgiving of even the slightest mistakes sometimes. You could always go to the bottom of the Forum page, look at the members currently on-line, find a moderator (look at the colour code)and click on the name; this gets you to the member profile, and you can click on "send a personal message" in the Communicate cartouche so that the name is prefilled in the message.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

Koan is often considered a figment of our imagination,...

I used to be a figment. Now I've moved on to a simple enigma.

Simepl tpying is not my frotay eiether/niether... (Giggle)
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#14 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

KoanYorel: When John intimated that you are a figment of our imagination, I understood finally why it was telling me persistently : there is no such person. I got worried, as for minute I thought it was me. Since you graduated to "ENIGMA", does your proximity to the "logic free zone" have any correlation ---?? Or did it played a role in defining you elevated status?? Being a student of psychology, you are a very interesting specimen for research indeed. Nevertheless, I am optimistic. there is still hope for you and your typing skill level. You take care yourself. remember to practice your typing daily-practice makes perfect. Warmly. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#15 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

That was what happened to me today. I had to put another post and ask to KY to erase the first.
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users