Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Block Or Not Block Popups

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

I hear blocking popups is not a good practice. I also hear blocking popups is not a bad idea. Which is it, which is correct? why or why not? Why do you block it or why you do not block popups?? thank you. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

Popups are the leprosy of the internet.
I use Firefox, which blocks almost every one of them.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

I use Firefox which blocks most of them. Then I use the Adblock extension to further stop the adds. I get one popunder when I first start my browser for the day (too lazy to track it down) - but I've blocked it in the HOSTS file so it never gets out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:51 PM

Most pop-ups are advertising and can be a real nuissance. Imagine doing research on a topic for a research paper and getting bombarded with ads? Some can also add infections to your computer. I block all pop-ups using various programs, and if I need to allow a pop-up, I grant an exception for that specific site.

I use Firefox also. In addition, I block pop-ups through my ZoneAlarm Security Suite and Ad-Watch. I'm sure there are other programs that block pop-ups also. These just happen to be the ones I use. I adjust my Ad-Watch settings if I need to for specific sites, such as Panda Anti-Virus Online scanning, then change it back when I'm done. With ZoneAlarm, I can adjust the settings for specific sites and leave it that way. Usually, I don't need to add sites to the allowed list in either IE, which I have to use for the on-line scans, or Firefox as Firefox and IE are not as rigorous in blocking pop-ups as either ZA or Ad-Watch.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

I block them as they are absolutely a major nuisence. I was told I Should not block them, blocking them will slow down my computer. And, although you have blocked them , they are still there in the background. What was told to me -any of this factual or true?? Thank you. take care. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

I have found very minimal slowdown of my computer by blocking pop-ups. In fact, I find that I save a great deal of time because I don't have to constantly close those things manually.

As for whether they are still running in the background, that likely depends on how they are blocked. If they are blocked from loading onto your machine, then they cannot possibly be running in the background since they aren't even on your computer. If they are simply blocked from appearing, and I am not aware of legit. programs that do this, then I suppose they could still run in the background, which would of course also use up system resources.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

I read some interesting information on the HOSTS file that may also apply here. As the size of the file grows, it will slow down your system some.

It seems that there would have to be a point of "diminishing returns" where the resources expended to block the popups would exceed the benefit obtained by blocking them.

Realistically tho' - this would have to be an enormous number of sites. I use several popup and ad-blockers to block nearly everything - and I haven't experienced any significant slowdown. FYI - I don't like benchmarking utilities so most of my observations are subjective (YMMV)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 SunScapes

SunScapes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

I block them as they are absolutely a major nuisence. I was told I Should not block them, blocking them will slow down my computer. And, although you have blocked them , they are still there in the background. What was told to me -any of this factual or true?? Thank you. take care. YOYO. :thumbsup:

Ad pop ups are a nuisance, and blocking them is good.

Web sites that offer items for sale sometimes tell you you may have to allow pop ups to use their secure online buying. Sites that offer downloads or updates tell you you may have to allow pop ups to recieve the download.

You just have to be aware... disallow all pop ups, but allow the ones that you need to use the web site features.

Some web sites won't let you view the content on the site if you block pop ups.. or is that cookies???? haha ha ha ha... OMG! :flowers:

Guess I'll quit while I'm ahead....
Sunny

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

There are ways around most of the compulsory ad viewing policies. The simplest is to use Firefox with the AdBlock Plus extension - I rarely see ads anymore because of this!

#10 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

USASMA SIR: On FF(with AdBlock Plus extension) has been a pleasure. Thank you for the suggestion. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:06 PM

With the AdBlockPlus extension I've been able to block almost everything that tries to come on my PC.

BUT, I've also blocked a lot of good stuff (by indiscriminate use of the * and ? wildcard characters). Be careful!

#12 discokid

discokid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

Sometimes though you might be on a site where you WANT the popup because its for a form or something... If you know you can trust the site, and you're using xp, it should be ok to hit the info bar to temporarily allow popups from that site, shouldn't it?

Edited by discokid, 09 January 2007 - 11:00 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

Yes, you can do this - but it's at your own risk! :thumbsup: What if you're on a phishing site (one that closely resembles a real site) and you allow it from there?

As always, "be internet safe" and never open anything that you don't want!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users