Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help, Im About To Cry

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pepsivscoke7

pepsivscoke7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

Yesterday, I was trying to restart the pc and had a power outage, when i tried to log back on to my pc, it went to the welcome screen but didnt load/display the user names....and when i tried to use safemode it did the same thing, loaded everything but the user names (including admin), but it lights up and sounds the same as if it displayed the user names

I tried to use last known good configuration but that didnt help at all....I need HELP BAD! I have tons of info and stuff that are on that computer and I need it, so Im not in a position to clean install or factory restore my pc.

What can I do to fix this, or is all hope lost? :thumbsup:

Windows XP Home SP-2 (dont have XP Home cd but i have a XP Prof cd from a friend)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

If worst comes to worst, you can always get your data off the drive by installing it as a slave in another PC.
So what your saying is that it boots to, and only displays, the 'welcome' screen?
Also, I found this on the web. Give it a go....

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/47991-post2.html
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 pepsivscoke7

pepsivscoke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

I had tried an additional copy on the pc, but it told me password did not match, and i never put a password.

I have let the pc run for an hour and it didnt display user names....I have Kav 6.0 and i notice if i wait like 5 mins i will see the Kav icon in the upper right corner of welcome screen load....Like the pc loads everything like normal time, but i cant seem to get user names to come up or log onto

Now that 1 guy above suggested using slave? how do i do this and what if i have to pick up a new hard drive, do i have to install a windows on that, then install it in pc, and then try to do this slave? or can i just buy a new hard drive and install and slave?

im not 100% on the slaving and would like some knowledge, plus i dont got a Windows XP Home cd cause it never came with pc, and a friend lended me his XP Prof which i used to recover my windows but it didnt seem like it repaired anything...maybe the power outage screwed up my registry and now i cant get logins? but seems like data is still there if Kav loads?!

so do i need to install windows on another hard drive to slave or can i just pick up 1 and slave with it? and does it matter if i use a hard drive from a mac?

#4 pepsivscoke7

pepsivscoke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

anyone know? i tried to use a HD from a Dell but i had a problem getting it to recognize it, and its an SATA HD and the IDE Slave cant connect to it, in my motherboard book they said it doesnt support Hot Plug (i dont know what that means) maybe it cant use SATA, but idk

but it says that i can connect SATA HD's to my motherboard and stuff

#5 CPLKaveman2

CPLKaveman2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

All you need is another HD. Just install it and disconnect your original HD. (Just leave it in place in your comp.) I use the Cable Select method with Windows XP. The HD has a little plastic piece on the rear of drive over 2 pins. Look at the letters that correspond with where the plastic piece is and use a pair of needle nose pliers to move it to CS (or if you prefer the master-slave combo use that). Once you have installed Win XP on your new HD reconnect your other HD. Goto MyComputer and you should see your old HD. Click on it to access and move all your saved info that you need to new HD. Format the old one and then you're done. You have saved your info and now have a second HD. Your new HD needs to connect the same as the original. It sounds like you need an ATA133 Drive.

Edited by CPLKaveman2, 23 October 2006 - 12:26 PM.

#6 pepsivscoke7

pepsivscoke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

:thumbsup: thanks for the fast response once i get home i will give it a go, and what if i only have a windows xp prof disk to put for the new hd as windows can i still access the old hd if it is using windows xp home or is that gonna mess with my motherboard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users