Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:52 AM

For external hard drive, Is Maxtor a good choice ? why or why not? Thanks. YOYO. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

My friend has Maxtor Mini Edition external hard drive and as far as i know it works pretty well.

Edited by Kevin_D, 18 October 2006 - 08:55 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

I have not heard of any greater amount of problems with Maxtor drives than any other drives recently. Also, I seem to recall that Maxtor was just bought out by Seagate.

FWIW - I'm a Western Digital devotee - and I have 2 external USB drives from them (a 120 gB and a 500 gB) and don't have any problems with them.

Finally, I understand that Seagate is the only company that offers a 5 year warranty on their drives.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:53 PM

Maxtor was what was suggested to me by my IT friends. What you have said confirmed what they had said that Maxtor is an excellent choice. And, the 5 year warranty sure is a very enticing incentive. USASMA SIR: You use Western Digital, can you share with us why you decided to go with Western Digital??? Thank you very much sir. Regards. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

Western Digital has been my preferred hard drive since the mid-1990's when I bought a 200 mb one that was broken. They RMA'd it immediately and I was up and running in no time at all.

Since then I've only used W-D drives (between 10 and 20 of them) and have never experienced a drive failure that wasn't my fault (the one that was my fault was a static discharge that I caused and it fried the PCB board).

I have read reports of failures with W-D drives, and they seem to be coming more frequently. They alarm me enough that I'm considering switching to Seagate just because of the warranty that they offer.

Currently, at home, I have 2 W-D Raptors on my primary system, a W-D Caviar on my FTP server, a 500 gB and a 120 gB W-D USB drive, a W-D Caviar on my wife's system and my youngest boy's system (the oldest has an HP - dunno what's in it). Also, I just gave an older W-D Caviar to my brother to replace the hard drive in his son's computer.

At work, we've got 6 W-D drives (with 1 unknown drive in a Compaq). One of the W-D drives was installed to replace the drive in another Compaq that was hit by lightning.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:25 AM

I have installed Maxtor drive and very confident of my choice (credit to everyone's invaluable feedbacks -are most appreciated). Thank you USASMA SIR for sharing your experience. It has been enlightening. Appreciation for your generosity in giving your time and sharing your wealth of knowledge. I have learned so much everyday from you and everyday I am improving because of you. You have enriched my computer experience. Take care. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

Here's my intro:

A long time ago, in a land far away (actually it was Tongduchon, South Korea in 1987) a selfless computer repairman on contract to the US Army, gave freely of himself to teach me about computers.

So, now it's time for me to repay those who gave to me so freely - and I hope to do so by giving freely to others, in the same spirit of those who taught me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users