Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Files XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fille9

fille9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 18 December 2004 - 04:31 PM

I am told that every e mail sent or received and every web site visited every download is recorded on my computer in hidden files. I am told that Window Washer or Evidence eliminator does not remove this information.

How can I remove these files in Win 95 SE and XP Home?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:43 AM

You could use System Soap. This is a tool I use on my XP and it works well.
http://download2.systemsoap.com/ssoap/indexpro.html

If you want to see these hidden files and folders, Open any folder, Click on Tools, select Folder Options, Select View and check in the small circle next to (Show Hidden Files and Folders) Now click on Apply to All Folders.

In My Documents select your own documents not All Users. You can view some of your recently used files and documents in the folder (My Recent Documents). You can if you like delete all these safely.

Now select the folder (Local settings). This folder looks faded compared to the rest, this is because it is one of the hidden folders. In this folder you will see a folder called Temporary Internet Files.

There are more of course, but it's much safer using a tool such as System Soap.

Another way is to go to System tools, select Disk Cleanup. This tool will remove most thing too. Hope this helps.

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users