Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kerio Vs Zone Alarm

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:18 AM

KERIO and ZONE Alarm, which is better? If you think is ZL, why? if you think is Kario, why? Or what do you use and why do you use that particular utility? Thanks. YOYO. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:38 AM

Kerio's full features turn off after a thirty day trial if you do not purchase their paid version.

I personally prefer ZA which I have been using successfully for years.

If, for some reason you do not like ZA try the following:
Comodo firewall (freeware)
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

#3 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

I have been using ZoneAlarm for a long while now and it has serve me very well. Friends has been telling me about how good Kerio is, in which I have been considering a change. Don't know. Well see. Have to look into it further. Thank you. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#4 Rondil

Rondil

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:06 AM

I have been using Zone Alarm for a long time. However I have been experiencing a bug using it. If I leave my computers inactive for 30 min to an hour I am unable to access the Intenet. I have to reboot to get it to work. I have experienced this same bug on 2 seperate computers. I tried uninstalling and downloading the latest version but I still recieved the same bug. Not only that but Zone Alarm has changed their Eula. They no longer offer a free version just a 30 day tryout. Not only that but the software when bought is only good for 1 year then must be repurchased (not 100% on this). I noticed that a number of security companies have started this. Mcaffe and Symantic both shut down after 1 year. Can anyone confirm this on their versions?
Anyway I abandoned Zone Alarm. Im going to try out Comodo. Maybe that will work better.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

The BASIC ZoneAlarm firewall is still free and doesn't expre. It is the other ZA products that have limited trials. See here: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/comp...id=home_compare Note: a EULA often is generic in order to cover all its products.

I haven't tried out the free version, primarily because I'm looking for something that has privacy controls as well. ZoneAlarm offers this only with packages bundled with AV and Anti-spyware, one package of which I have. Howver, Kerio offers the privacy controls with it's paid version of the firewall. The free version lacks that part as Enthusiast has already pointed out.

Hmm. Some differences: ZoneAlarm does its best to identify by name who is trying to get into your computer in its alerts, immediate log view (by that I mean the one accessible through the user interface), and the stored log view. It is very easy to configure ZA to show all alerts, only high level alerts, or no alerts at all. It's a bit more complex with Kerio. Kerio's immediate log view shows only that something was blocked at a certain port. The stored logs do provide the IP addresses of the attackers, unfortunately it doesn't provide a 'who is" so unlesss you already know who it is, you're left in the dark. This is the log of the internet intrusion. There are other kinds of logs, and some of these do provide website identity for the intrusion; however, those logs are part of the paid-only aspects of the firewall. I haven't yet figured out how to get it to show the intrusion alerts which provides more detailed information, but from the picture in its manual, it provides IP addresses, but not a named identity - albeit that identity could be forged.

Kerio has two installation options: simple and advanced. You can switch to advanced later. Kerio's free version has at least some application activity monitoring; whereas, with ZoneAlarm, it seems you can get that only with the operating system firewall component available only in various paid bundles that include at least an AV product, a pain to have bundled if you want to scan in safe mode.

See product comparison charts at the links below. Note, on with the ZA comparison chart, if you click on the underlined text in the right hand column, the page will then display the features of that part underneath. The entire page will reload - on IE6 that is.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/comp.../comparison.jsp

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

Both provide printable user manuals from their websites, a very worthwhile read to assist you in installing, configuring, using and understanding the product.

I've tried the Sygate free firewall which I understand has a who is element, but I cannot get it to work on my system.

I tried the Comodo firewall, but I find it too difficult to change some of the rules. In fact, I had to uninstall and reinstall it in order to reverse a block established by a denial and which then kept me from connecting to any websites.

Note: if you use AVG anti-virus or want to swiitch to it and you have the Kerio firewall, AVG anti-virus must be installed first. If Kerio is already on your system, you will need to uninstall it, then install AVG anti-virus then reinstall Kerio.

If you feel up to it, you could install the various firewalls one at a time and try them out to see what you like the best and what works best with your system. Jetica also offers a free firewall.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:00 AM

Thank you for clarifying free ZL's status. YOYO. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users