Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Firewall Turns Itself Off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 freespeechforme

freespeechforme

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:35 AM

I have xp home edition with downloaded sp2
I thought I might have a trojan so I've been running anti-spyway programs. It doesn't seem like I do
every program I run, only finds cookies & medium threats which I have removed.
Anyway while I was checking my 'puter, I went to win firewall & seen if was off.
I didn't remember turning it off, so I turned it back on, but figured I'd watch it.
So I notice everytime I reboot or turn my computer back on, the button is back on off.
Any idea what could be causing this?
Thanks

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum, and added topic descriptor. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 18 October 2006 - 01:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:36 AM

Do you have a third party firewall installed such as Zonealarm, Comodo or ?

#3 freespeechforme

freespeechforme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

Oh my God, I read your post, and I want to Zone Alarm>firewall>advanced & the box was checked for disable
windows firewall.

I think this is probably fix the problem..I would reboot now to check but I'm in the middle of download.

If everything is a ok, I will reply here so you can close this thread..

thanks
Laura :thumbsup:

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

You will cause problems if you allow 2 firewalls to run at the same time. Zone Alarm is the much better firewall and it shuts down Windows firewall when you install ZA. In other words, your settings were correct before posting.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 freespeechforme

freespeechforme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

Ok, Thanks I reset ZA to where it was.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users