Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battlefield 2142 In-game Ads Use Spyware Tactics

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

After ripping open the box, but before putting the disc into their systems, gamers may notice a slip of paper with a disclaimer written on it.

"The software may incorporate technology developed by IGA Worldwide, the advertising technology. The purpose of the advertising technology is to deliver in-game ads when you use the software while connected to the Internet. When you use the software while connected to the Internet, the advertising technology may record your IP address and other anonymous information.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4568

uh huh, so now they want you to pay them to put malware on your computer

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:01 PM

thats just wrong.nuf said.

#3 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:33 AM

Pretty despicable. I suppose they assume our apathy will overcome our disgust.

Well, I never cared for the BF series, so I am not too worried about that. The new one looked interesting, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole at this point.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:05 PM

Isn't that the same company that has been making in-game ads for many other games like Counter-Strike: Source?

Its sad that you can't even play a game now without getting pummeled by ads and sypware. Some may think seeing a random subway ad while in the game adds some realism, but I think its just a bunch of crap.

#5 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:03 PM

hmm i planned on buying bf2142. but i'm not sure now.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

Grab yer pitchforks, people! Who's got em torches?

At least you used to get the spyware laden games for free, now you'll be paying for the privilege.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:54 PM

Aw, I'm so excited for the chance to pay for it. How nice of them :thumbsup:

I was already on the fritz on buying it because the network for the campus has all these protection things that make playing half of my games now a waste of time. I was interested in it because it would mean more 64 player mayhem, but this is ridiculous.

#8 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

Wow. lol

But they don't send this information out do they? I mean nothing harmful is going to happen when they get it?

Posted Image

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:24 AM

But they don't send this information out do they? I mean nothing harmful is going to happen when they get it?

They say they won't, but can you be sure? Remember: There might be laws protecting your privacy, and restricting how they can collect data on you, but once they have your data they own it and can do anything they want with it. Any Privacy Policies or promises they make have no legal value. Once they own it they can sell or publish it however they want and there is nothing you can do about it. Just because they won't sell it now doesn't mean that a few years from now when business ain't going so good and they need a little extra cash, they won't sell it then. Data broking is big business and big money. Add to that how it is getting cheaper to store data than getting rid of it. Once it is out there it will get everywhere: Marketers, spammers, PI:s, identity thieves, government and corporate databases. The data they collect now can show up 10 years from now in an job interview.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

Good, lots of people are upset by this. I hope that EA would change their mind.... but then again, its EA so I doubt it.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154522

Its sad because I was pretty interested in the new BF2 game. I hope they don't try and do this to Valve, I'm definatly not going to be buying Valve's games retail because of EA. Go STEAM.

#11 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

From what i can gather from EA's website, is it only logs your IP number and serves in game ads specific to your location. So when your playing the game there may be a billboard on 1 of the buildings with the ad on it.
I've been playing BF2142 and i havn't noticed anything yet..............maybe because i'm too busy ducking enemy fire.

Before everyone jumps in and flames me, i'm dead against all forms of spyware, but i don't really see why everyone has made such a big deal about Bf2142, it's no different than surfing the net and seeing all those "find singles in your area" ads, they ain't taking any information except your IP number, which ain't no big deal seeing even this site has your IP stored somewhere!

Just my 2cents.
Chief.

#12 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

It's probably more geared against EA than anything else. Because EA is doing it, it makes it evil (or something like that). I'd prefer to not see real life ads while I'm playing a game even if they are as subtle as a poster on a wall. I'm just not comfortable with it though I'm interested in the game because I love the whole 64 player intensity aspect.

#13 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

lets hope this doesnt become the normal. i can just see it when im fighting a huge 64 player battle with hell raining on me and my buddy gets blown away, im pinned down, what do i see and ad. wtf?
http://www.techspot.com/newspics/2006/bf21...aimer_small.jpg
read this whole thing
now read this quote from wikipedia

In simpler terms, spyware is a type of program that watches what users do with their computer and then sends that information over the internet. Spyware can collect many different types of information about a user. More benign programs can attempt to track what types of websites a user visits and send this information to an advertisement agency. More malicious versions can try to record what a user types to try to intercept passwords or credit card numbers. Yet other versions simply launch popup advertisements. While some forms of spyware can certainly be considered malicious, some on the other hand certainly are not, and are more passive in nature by just watching, observing, and collecting information.

Spyware spying isn't always malicious in nature, it is also just the act of watching, observing, and collecting.

Many legitimate companies are now beginning to incorporate forms of spyware, and adware into their software, mainly for purposes of advertisement. While these types of programs are not to be considered spyware in the most malicious sense, they are still spyware in the sense of watching, and observing, with advertisement in mind, making them a form of what is called adware.

i dont want this stuff on my computer. according to EA it watches the sites you go to, and suits the ads to your tastes. this is definately spyware not only that but there are rumors that if you try to remove the spyware it renders the game inoperable, so you would have to reinstall it, and the spyware. this is rediculous, you've gone a little too far EA.
sure they say they wont use it for bad, but once they have that information they can give it to anyone becuase technicly they OWN IT!
this is not good, not good at all. even if it isnt malicious its violating your privacy, whats the difference between this and someone who bugs your house and uses what they know to develope a prouct they can sell to you?
and about the ip adress, someone said so what they take your ip adress so do ads on the net. yeah well its becoming the norm, thats a bad thing, im not sure you fully understand what your ip adress is so heres an excerpt from wikipedia

An IP address (Internet Protocol address) is a unique number that devices use in order to identify and communicate with each other on a computer network utilizing the Internet Protocol standard (IP). Any participating network device — including routers, computers, time-servers, printers, Internet fax machines, and some telephones — must have its own unique address. An IP address can also be thought of as the equivalent of a street address or a phone number (compare: VoIP) for a computer or other network device on the internet. Just as each street address and phone number uniquely identifies a building or telephone, an IP address can uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on a network.

in short it is what identifies your computer to every other computer conected to the internet. so what you still say.
think of it as this,
if a stalker gets your adress?
if some third part gets your ip adress?

Edited by ussr1943, 22 October 2006 - 12:04 PM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#14 TheEnglandSniper

TheEnglandSniper

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

i have been an avid fan of the BattleField series and was hoping to get this game too. but now i know there's spyware innit then i will give it a miss.EA u gone to far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users