Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Premium & Defender

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 redmed

redmed

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:09 AM

I have been running Malwarebytes Premium and Defender for about two years based on a article I read.  I wonder is this still a good combination?  Does running Malwarebytes realtime protection cause Defender to become passive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:21 AM

If you are talking about Windows Defender under Windows 8.1 or 10, you can open it's main settings page and see whether it is currently inactive for certain functions or not.  It changed name to Windows Security as of Windows 10, Version 1809, but you can still find the settings with a search on Windows Defender, too.

I have never understood exactly what Malwarebytes has implemented as far as its realtime protection, and all my reading indicates it is not a full-fledged security solution (although their marketing suggests it is).

You would be wise to simply check to see what Windows Defender functions are indicated as being active. 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:31 AM

Yes, although the marketing of Malwarebytes 3.x Premium "claims" it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it is not an anti-virus...see here. Malwarebytes has limitations and lacks many constructs that a traditional anti-virus applications employ...it is not a historical anti malware solution...meaning it does not detect legacy malware, it does not target scripted malware, document files, media files and it is incapable of of removing malicious code that has been prepended or injected into legitimate files (i.e. file infectors, Trojan patches). The Anti-Exploit module is primarily for protection against software exploitation...it does not protect against social engineering, the human exploit often resulting from fraud, spam and phishing emails.

This is a more detailed explanation by David H. Lipman, a trusted Security Colleague and Malware Researcher/Analyst. Dave provides the same explanation in this topic at Malwarebytes where he provides assistance on the forums board.

That indicates to me that Malwarebytes 3.x Premium is still better served as an adjunct anti-malware solution to complement and strengthen your protection when utilizing a traditional anti-virus solution.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 redmed

redmed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:38 AM

Yes I guess stating what version Windows I'm running would help.  I'm currently on Windows 10 Home version 1803.  When I check the security settings I find:

"Virus & threat protection settings
No action needed"

Does that mean that Defender is actively in control of virus protection or Defender sees Malwarebytes and has become passive?  I can not find anything definitive stating that Defender is providing virus protection.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

Windows 10 Anniversary update, introduced Limited Periodic Scanning which allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection.For more specific information about Windows Defender, see my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Malwarebytes 3.x Premium should run alongside Windows Defender 8/10 without conflicts.

With the launch of Malwarebytes 3.0, we are confident that you can finally replace your traditional antivirus...but rest assured, we continue to support compatibility if you choose to use a third-party antivirus or other security software alongside Malwarebytes 3.0.

Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement

...all of our technologies can replace antivirus if a customer wishes to do so...in Malwarebytes 3.0, with the addition of the three signature-less anti-exploit layers and the signature-less anti-ransomware layer, Malwarebytes defense against real-world threats has finally surpassed that of the traditional AVs... For our users who do prefer to continue using a traditional antivirus alongside Malwarebytes, by all means please continue to do so. Malwarebytes will always maintain compatibility with all major security software on the market, both free and paid. In particular, Microsofts traditional antivirus Windows Defender is included by default and for free with Windows 8 and 10, and is a useful additional layer alongside Malwarebytes 3.0.

Malwarebytes 3.0 FAQs: Antivirus Replacement

By default, Malwarebytes automatically decides whether or not to register itself with Windows Action Center settings based on your system. You can override this behavior in Malwarebytes > Settings > Application tab and choose to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Centre"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 redmed

redmed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:52 AM

OK thanks.  I knew that Malwarebytes & Defender coexisted well together a few years ago.  I was reviewing my security setup today and read that Malwarebytes was providing full time virus protection and wondered if that was now causing a conflict.  I also see I had checked the "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Centre" setting in Malwarebytes.  So I should be still good.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:54 PM

By the way, the answer to your question about what you were seeing in Windows Defender settings is, "Yes, that indicates that WD is in charge of virus scanning."

If it isn't you get something there that states that it's being handled by something else, and I believe it will name the something else.  It's been a long time since I've dealt with third-party antivirus since Windows Defender/Windows Security as implemented under Windows 10 is a very good product and the only thing I recommend that users of Windows 10 use (if they don't already have a third-party favorite that they are using - that's their call).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 redmed

redmed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:57 PM

Another Question.  I am running Malwarebytes Premium with Defender on two laptops that are used often.  I also have a desktop that is only used a few short times a week, the rest of the time the power is turned off.  The main use of the desktop is to order online purchases.  So the data on the desktop is more critical than what is on the laptops.  I have the desktop running with Malwarebytes Premium and (Free) Panda.  The primary reason I have been using Panda is that I can easily schedule a scan and check the box to shutdown after the scan finishes.  If the desktop was on for longer periods I would run it like the laptops with Malwarebytes Premium & Defender so scans could be scheduled instead of me manually starting the scans the brief times I get on the desktop.  Is there a way to manually schedule a Defender scan and have it shutdown the desktop after the scan is finished?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:22 PM

OK, I'm not going to answer the question, but ask another one, "What makes you think that these manual scans are necessary?"

The folks who design security software actually know what they're doing, and do what's necessary to prevent infections in all but the rarest of cases (typically when something is very new and has not yet been identified by all players yet).

Any of them will take care of you just fine if you just "set it and forget it."  If it's not nagging you to do something then there's really nothing that should be done. 

~ Mark Twain

#10 redmed

redmed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:19 PM

I may get on the desktop for 5-10 minutes twice a week.  Not enough time for the software to determine the need and then complete a automated scan before I hit shutdown.  I may get on twice for 10 minutes then shutdown/power off.  The third time get on and the first thing I do is start the Malwarebytes scan so it updates to the latest version then scans, while that happens I do what I got on to do.  When I'm done I will start the Panda scan with the shutdown when done and walk away.  A hour or two later turn the power off. 

If I don't manually scan I can go for months without a scan or update.  I used to just get on without manually scanning for most of a year.  Then when I went on to do my taxes (for hours) I discovered that Malwarebytes and Panda where both multiple versions behind and Windows was waaay behind.  It took almost two days to get Windows back to the current version.  If I remember correctly for those two days web surfing slowed to a slow crawl while Windows updates downloaded.  My wife was not happy.  The Windows updates hung or failed multiple times.  I eventually had to manually download a major windows update and install it manually to clear things up so we could get back to web surfing without the wife nagging.  Since then I may leave the desktop on overnight every month or so just so it does not fall so far behind. I also went into "Delivery Optimization" and turned on "Allow Downloads From Other PC's" that I turned off when W10 was installed.

#11 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 462 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted Today, 12:36 AM

The combination of our Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware, Website Protection, and Remediation technologies provides better coverage against modern and zero-day threats than the traditional antivirus companies that charge more for less effective protection.

Traditional antivirus vendors have struggled to keep pace with rapidly-changing malware, especially ransomware and data breaches where 0-hour protection has become the only meaningfully-relevant protection. In today’s modern threat world, where professional malware writers make their living engineering new ways to bypass protection, it is more important than ever to utilize signature-less technology and layered security to provide the greatest possible chance of defense. It is just as important to provide comprehensive remediation capabilities to clean up active malware when all else fails.

Prior to Malwarebytes 3.0, our software was intended to be layered together with a traditional antivirus. (NOTE): Malwarebytes 1.x and 2.x contained only two primary layers of defense (Malware Protection and Website Protection) plus remediation, none of which is fully signature-less. But in Malwarebytes 3.0, with the addition of the three signature-less anti-exploit layers and the signature-less anti-ransomware layer, Malwarebytes defense against real-world threats has finally surpassed that of the traditional AVs.

We didn’t originally expect to draw this conclusion. But after we developed the anti-exploit, anti-ransomware, and other Application Behavioral Protection technology in Malwarebytes 3.0, our researchers tested our performance against the full landscape of real-world threats and found we offered our users more comprehensive protection at a better price with Malwarebytes 3.0 than by recommending you buy a separate traditional AV. So we did it.

Quoted directly from Malwarebytes 3.0 FAQ area as linked above by quietman7, (not mine) .. 

However I do run the "Premium version", and it is set to run at startup so it will give me a full scan and report  ..

I also run Defender (updated when Windows tells me) and hit scan daily with usually a clean result..

The only change between mine and yours is that the Desktop gets much more use than the laptop..

Edited by Jaycan, Today, 12:38 AM.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users