Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing My Dads Dinosaur

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

My dad has a really old ibm computer in the basement and he doesn't really need it anymore, he just has it because all of his sound equipment for his job is down there so while he burns cds he can print out labels. Well anyways I was wondering if it would be worth it to maybe fix it up a bit or to just throw it out. Not really to have another computer, but just for the feel that i accomplished something and to get a little experience because when i'm an adult (i'm 14 now) I want to have my own computer business where I fix and sell computers. Here are the some of the specs (Ya there not really that specific, but the computer wouldn't tell me much I might try installing everest on it).

-Authentic AMD, AMD-K6 3D processor

-64 mb of ram :thumbsup: (we tried hooking it up to our cable modem and it said it doesn't have enough ram but there is two slots for cards) Can expand to 256 which i will have two 128's eventually, hopefully they'll fit.

-6 gig hardrive

-It didn't list the memory of the graphics but it had the chip. RAGE PRO TURBO AGP, MACH 64 RAGE PRO

-Its running windows 98 from 4/10/98 also.

I was just thinking of maybe getting a little bit bigger of a hardrive like 20 gigs or so and maybe a better graphics card but I don't think it has the right slots for one. Also that ram that I was talking about earlier.

Ya this probably sounds kind of dumb but thanks for reading it anyways. :flowers:

Edited by Sterling14, 17 October 2006 - 05:29 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:56 PM

I've switched from using Everest Home to a free program called "System Info for Windows".

The current version is 1.64 Build 622 of October 09, 2006

http://www.gtopala.com/

It will provide you with probably more info about a system than you want to know. It's a good tool to learn about systems.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

I am far from understanding hardware in any depth, but I can say from my own experience that I learned a great deal (mostly the hard way) from building my own computer a few years ago. Even if you do not change that IBM into a supercomputer, just "tinkering" with it is bound to give you hands-on experience and some knowledge.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:42 PM

Hay There Sterling14
sounds alot like my old IBM 2153, if so , I think you may be stuck with the onboard video , mine was non-upgradeable as I remember (it seemed "ok" to me at the time w/32 bit setting) I had "doubled" my mem to 128mb and it worked pretty well(min was 32mb) .chances are it will be PC66 sdram , maybe PC100 at best. it worked pretty well as a surfing machine and did email as well but started to have hardware problems so I got a new one.
in case you're wondering it had 4mb of shared video memory. Ati rage pro turbo 1x/2x . I've seen AMD k6 500mhz "pulls" ocassionally online for about 20 bucks , not hardly worth it when I had a 350 to start with.
What ever you do , try to have fun .

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

The best way to learn is by doing! Along the way you may melt some stuff down - but you'll learn from it. I'd say for it!

Take your time and make your selections after doing a lot of research - it'll pay off in the long run (you won't melt as much stuff down!)

Check your messages, I'm going to send you a PM after I post this!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:30 PM

Ya I've already destroyed an old hammy down computer a few years back trying to clear the internet options or something lol. My uncle had shown me how to at his house and I was like 9 or 10 and I had forgotten exactly what he had said and I guess I deleted some system folders or something. :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

The guy who taught me the most was a contractor to the US Army in Korea (where I was stationed). We'd break the office computers at night (playing games and adjusting settings) - and he'd come in the next day to fix them (and would show us how to avoid screwing things up more!) :thumbsup:

Oh, and when I was 5, my girlfriend and I decided to help my Dad fix a TV. So we cut every single wire in it! Boy was he upset! Turns out that he was waiting for a replacement component to fix it - and because of us he ended up throwing it out!

Edited by usasma, 17 October 2006 - 07:34 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users