Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Technology Trances - How do we shake kids out of them?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:25 PM

We are losing our youths to technology, I worry about a loss of electric for any extended period of time there will be absolute kayos.  I have watched my grand kids they get DAMN cranky about anything that deprives them of their use of electronic wizardry.  Another big thing with me is having two teachers in the family is the fact that the biggest majority of kids can not write and have -0- interest in doing so.  A close friends daughter got into a wordy thing because like all kids spends tons of time on her phone, Facebook, and the like.  He said go out and get some friends get a life, she retorted I have 4 to 5,000 friends he said have you met any followed by stone silence from her.  I wonder just how the heck do we get our kids back!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:28 PM

I changed the title, as "Dumbing Down," has a very distinct meaning that has nothing to do with the glazed look and eye-gluing stare that often goes with smartphones and the young in particular (but it's definitely not limited to them).

There's the kernel of an actual back and forth discussion that this could trigger.  As it is it comes off more as pure venting.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Bry89

Bry89

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

How can we get our children to become less addicted to tech? Psychiatric help... and maybe better parenting too.

>>mindsConnected<<

A smaller, close-knit tech-oriented community. Everybody welcome.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

Bry89 wrote, in part, "and maybe better parenting," as being the solution to getting our children less addicted to tech.

As far as I'm concerned, that's the primary solution.  Parenting requires restricting excessive access to all sorts of things, including screen time regardless of the device with the screen.

That being said, good parenting has always been hard to come by.   Ease often takes precedence over doing what's needed and best.  Restricting kids appropriately, and dealing with the inevitable fallout that comes from same, is something many parents just don't want to deal with.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:14 PM

How can we get our kids to become less addicted to tech?

Thats easy.

Use the on/off button on the device to turn it OFF. Its literally as simple as that.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:26 PM

Quote: Use the on/off button on the device to turn it OFF. Its literally as simple as that.

Good chance you will witness a tantrum!  I have seen a few and most of the time they get away with it soft parenting!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,832 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:43 PM

Tantrums are easy to deal with, Go to your room and stay there till I tell you to come out.

Its the parents fault.

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:23 PM

Call it a bright side (or rose colored glasses) but when my wife runs into a snag with her smart phone (which I call dumb phone, directed more at myself), she'll ask someone quite young who'll then push a few buttons- and voilà, fixed!
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#9 Bry89

Bry89

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:00 AM

(to NickAu)

Well, the kids would be smart enough to turn them back ON :rolleyes:

But yeah, definitely the parents are at fault here when they're addicted to tech themselves. If I had a kid, I would never introduce him/her to any of these things, especially when I'm not a phone/tablet user like the majority in this world. I would raise him/her the traditional way, like how my dear old mother raised me.

>>mindsConnected<<

A smaller, close-knit tech-oriented community. Everybody welcome.

#10 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:59 AM

It seems to me that peer pressure is now unstoppable. For some reason, I don't know what, children now seem to have to have everything that the others have. (a lot of haves) It could possibly be that kids are much more swayed by advertising.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:05 AM

A lot of parents use the TV games consoles and PC's as de-facto baby sitters, While they do stuff.

Its safer and easier to have a kid playing ( insert game ) on xbox in the lounge than it is to let them go down the park on their bikes.

" Well, the kids would be smart enough to turn them back ON "

And I can confiscate the item, The father giveth and the father can taketh it away.

Its the parents fault, we are allowing our kids to do this, Affluenza is a real thing and its ruining our kids and their kids.

Edited by NickAu, 09 December 2018 - 06:19 AM.

#12 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:13 AM

An odd thing we've seen in recent years when we've looked at new home construction, and though maybe not representative elsewhere, many are divided in such a way where the parents have their own 'space' and their kids have theirs- complete with bath, living, play area with all the electronic tech hookups... basically like a home within a home. Many of those kid's areas were even compartmentalized where each could have their own space away from their siblings.

The only single room was the kitchen.

Obviously designed for working parents, definitely not conducive toward family interaction. We felt as if we were seeing a social trend emerging toward greater acceptance of separation.

Growing up, when my brother and I got under our folk's skin (a common occurrence), their solution was simple-  "OK, out! Go play in the dirt and eat some spiders!"

Edit/add: Lots of advice on the 'net, a general search-

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+wean+kids+off+electronics&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

-the only trouble being the parents needing to read, don't. 

Edited by r.a.d., 09 December 2018 - 11:07 AM.

#13 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:28 PM

Bry89 wrote:

QUOTE -How can we get our children to become less addicted to tech? Psychiatric help... and maybe better parenting too. --END QUOTE

Remember when T.V. became too popular and kids were believed spending too much time watching it?  What about the then later development of computer games, and internet?  Now technology has improved and penetrated more of all of us and so the kids go on with their evolving habits.  Maybe they need real practical responsibilities .  Break them of alway reaching for some smart-device, and learn to deal with real people right where they are.

I had to change or remove the quotation tags for this to work.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:41 PM

cafejose wrote, in part, "I had to change or remove the quotation tags for this to work."

As do we all.  Quotation is not permitted using the typical quote mechanism in this forum in an effort to prevent individual posts from getting ridiculously long.  And, trust me, they would if someone got it in their mind to do a "point by point" response to a long initial post.

georgehenry wrote, in part, "It seems to me that peer pressure is now unstoppable."  There is absolutely nothing new about that!  'Twas ever thus.  There comes a time, usually around age 11-13, when how one is viewed by one's peer group slowly (and sometimes very quickly) but surely becomes the primary shaping force in life.  Parents have always struggled to retain influence as this process occurs.  There truly is nothing new under the sun when it comes to human growth and development, though some of the specifics do vary, the overall trajectory does not.

~ Mark Twain

#15 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:25 PM

Maybe off beam a bit, but a truism just hit:  reading.

Being a bookworm from an early age, of a family of readers (amongst other interests) , I seem to see a distinct lack of this in present youth, be it fiction or non. It stimulates imagination via the author's experiences which provided insights for their written word.

A better form of entertainment instead of short-lived text/Facebook/instant gratification games.. endless tech list.

Only question: how do you get them to try it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users