Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User friendly image viewer on windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wzfoto

wzfoto

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

I m looking for a user friendly tool to view images on a windows 10 folder.  Ideally I can move forward and backward via just the arrow keys.  Don't need editing capability but being able to move between images quickly and zoom in/out are most important.  The default one that comes with windows, doesn't seem to do what I need (pressing arrow keys do nothing).  I also tried some popular tools such as xnview, but it lacks the arrow key navigation.  Imagine showing photos on your laptop to your grandma - just need a way so that she can scroll thru photos by herself.  THe old windows photo viewer used to allow arrow key navigation but somehow it was taken away with the new windows image viewer.  Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:13 PM

Digital camera software allowing you to use your camera with your computer, maybe?  XnView  (I see you already tried that one)?  Try a online search for "Picture browser" and you'll certainly be presented some.

----
You say Windows 10, which should already have PHOTOS, the name of the program.  Going to a folder with pictures, open any picture, and the default program if not changed, to view it should be PHOTOS.  You WILL SEE Left and Right arrows, allowing you to move forward and backward in the folder.  I am not sure about zooming in or out.-------------YES, there is a Zoom tool above the picture.
----
I am now seeing some trouble in using what I suggested about PHOTOS.  The left and right arrow buttons disappear, and then the other tools become obscured in unpredictable ways but the mouse wheel will go forward or backward among the pictures in the folder.  Other stuff too.
----

suggestion --  FastStone Image Viewer

I cannot remember if I did or did not try it, but definitely read about it, because maybe it will be what you want.

----

Edited by cafejose, 08 December 2018 - 11:07 PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:21 PM

I can confirm that FastStone Image Viewer does allow the use of the left and right arrow keys (as in keyboard keys) to move forward and backward through the images being shown in the folder being viewed.

Do be aware that you will need to configure FastStone's user interface to your liking.  I prefer windowed view, which is very much like File Explorer, and this is not the default.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:59 PM

Hi. I'd recommend Irfanview (Free) - it will allow you to move back and forwards through a folder of photos with your arrow keys.

I have it set as my default viewer in Windows 10 and find it vastly superior to any Windows built-in viewers.

It's more than a viewer too - you can manipulate and frame photos on the fly if you want to. 

Regards, Andrew

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:11 PM

By the way, FastStone Image Viewer is not just an image viewer, either.  Why the developer has insisted on maintaining that name I will never know.

I've tried Irfanview, and it is undoubtedly a great product, I just happen to prefer FastStone.  Either one is, in my opinion, vastly superior to anything offered by Microsoft for a very long time.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:46 PM

Why the developer has insisted on maintaining that name I will never know.

Indeed. I'd have to mirror the same confusion with Irfanview too. It is so much more powerful than a "viewer" that I'd more describe it as an editor and image manipulator myself.

I've tried FastStone Image Viewer in the past as well, but prefer Irfanview - it's a personal preference thing - Both are excellent and powerful image viewers and manipulators and you can't beat the price! :)

#7 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:39 AM

You could always just try re-enabling the old Windows Photo Viewer (www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14312-restore-windows-photo-viewer-windows-10-a.html)

#8 misar

misar

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

I mostly use Irfanview but I just tried the Windows 10 default viewer (Photos). It works fine with the forward and back arrow keys on my machine (1803).

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:35 PM

. . . I just tried the Windows 10 default viewer (Photos). It works fine with the forward and back arrow keys on my machine (1803).

And every Windows photo viewing utility I've ever encountered does.  I'd hope that everyone is at least up to Version 1803 by now.

~ Mark Twain

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

FastStone and Irfanview are probably the best two image viewers (+) around and the both blow any of the Windows image viewers away both for ease of use and functionality. It is not so much that one is better than the other but they have different priorities in what they emphasise when it comes to functionality. I would suggest that you install both and give them an equal trial. You are likely to find that one fits your exact needs better than the other.

I have been a long time user of Irfanview but I tried FastStone when Brian first mentioned it some little time ago. I think I gave it a fair trial but I reurned to Irfanview. Your experience may be different. Since neither is a huge download give them both a go !

Chris Cosgrove

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:10 PM

I tried FastStone when Brian first mentioned it some little time ago. I think I gave it a fair trial but I reurned to Irfanview. Your experience may be different. 

No you did not!!  Otherwise you'd have stuck with my preference;  I am infallible!  

His experience will be different!

[I certainly hope a ;-) is not necessary, but just in case. . .]

~ Mark Twain

#12 wzfoto

wzfoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

Lots of good suggestions here.  FastStone Image Viewer is what I end up using.  Thank you.

#13 alien_fx_fiend

alien_fx_fiend

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:31 PM

I recommend Nomacs - Image Lounge: https://nomacs.org —I've used XnView & stopped using it too —didn't like the featureset, Nomacs - Image Lounge is nice 'cause it displays animated GIFs & webp files, which I needed (was the main reason I switched to it (used Windows Photo Viewer before.)) I still use Windows Photo Viewer; & Nomacs - Image Lounge when I need to resize or peruse through my folder galleries [with arrow keys.] It's freeware BTW...

Edited by alien_fx_fiend, 09 December 2018 - 09:55 PM.

~The Worlds Deceit Has Raped My Soul, We Melt The Plastic People Down Then We Melt Their Plastic Town~

alien.PNG

#14 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:03 PM

I'm responding to the below quote from post#2

One addition which trips many people. You will not see any arrows until you hover over left or right side of the picture.

Don't forget, M$, in their wisdom, keeps redesigning GUI for phones, hides scroll bars or arrows from us, and the software doesn't detect you have a real computer when it installs.

----
You say Windows 10, which should already have PHOTOS, the name of the program.  Going to a folder with pictures, open any picture, and the default program if not changed, to view it should be PHOTOS.  You WILL SEE Left and Right arrows, allowing you to move forward and backward in the folder.  I am not sure about zooming in or out.-------------YES, there is a Zoom tool above the picture.
----

FASTSTONE, absolutely faststone, a great program. Runs on XP, 7 and 10.

Edited by tos226, 09 December 2018 - 10:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users