Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard ports not working on new build

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hockey71

hockey71

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:16 AM

Hello,

So I began building a PC back in September, this was my first build. I had everything except a GPU, which I planned on picking up at a later date. I believed I had done everything correctly so it was time to plug in the monitor(VGA) and turn on the power for the first time test. Everything turned on and the monitor displayed a POST screen. Great! Everything works!

Fast forward to black Friday and I finally purchase a GPU, got it all hooked up and installed properly. Ok time to turn it on and install windows. But now the monitor(VGA) will not work when plugged into the back of my motherboard. Strange ok let me try my TV(HDMI). At first I try to plug it into the HDMI slot on my motherboard but like the monitor it does not work. Next I try to plug my TV(HDMI) into the HDMI slot of the GPU and finally I have a picture again. It is the POST screen similar to September.

F2 to do setup

F1 to continue

So I plug in a USB keyboard into the back of the motherboard and this also does not work. At this point it seems like none of the ports are working on the motherboard which is strange since my VGA monitor did months prior. The only thing that has changed since then is the addition of my GPU. So I decide to remove the GPU and after that my monitor works again with my motherboard, but still USB no keyboard will work. I even tried an old school keyboard that plugs into the purple+green port (idk name) and still nothing.

So how do I get my ports to work? What went wrong? Is it some oddly specific problem with the motherboard?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4wmZvn

Motherboard has no beep sound on startup. Don’t know if this is relevant at all

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:28 PM

USB devices...cannot be expected to work until the USB drivers are installed, IMO.  Those drivers install with Windows.

The exception might be enabling legacy USB devices in the BIOS.

When you install a discrete GPU...the monitor needs to be connected to it, not to the onboard video connections on the motherboard.  If the motherboard automatically senses the presence of a discrete GPU...and you connect the monitor to the onboard video...you should get nothing on your monitor, because it's connected to the wrong connection.

A visit to the BIOS settings should allow you elect the proper settings for your intened install of Windows, IMO.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/H370%20Pro4.pdf

Legacy USB Support
Enable or disable Legacy OS Support for USB 2.0 devices. If you encounter USB
compatibility issues it is recommended to disable legacy USB support. Select UEFI
Setup Only to support USB devices under the UEFI setup and Windows/Linux
operating systems only.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:49 PM

So I began building a PC back in September, this was my first build. I had everything except a GPU, which I planned on picking up at a later date. I believed I had done everything correctly so it was time to plug in the monitor(VGA) and turn on the power for the first time test. Everything turned on and the monitor displayed a POST screen. Great! Everything works!

I assume you were using the integrated graphics if you got a post screen without the GPU. What happens when you pull the GPU and go back to integrated graphics? Does your monitor have an HDMI port or DVI port. I would use DVI over VGA if available.

You should get a post beep. The MB should have a header for a speaker. Do you have one of these?

#4 hockey71

hockey71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:09 AM

I am unable to reach the bios as I can not get a keyboard to work. I am stuck at the POST screen.

Also I do not have one of those speakers so I guess that explains my lack of beep.

Thanks

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:24 AM

Not sure if I have this right, you have not loaded W10!  Pull the GPU rely only on the on board graphics to load the OS, I do not believe any board will fire up a an add on GPU without a system and drivers.  You only need the mouse at first to start loading the OS.  By the time you get to the COA the key board should work just fine.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 hockey71

hockey71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:31 AM

Not sure if I have this right, you have not loaded W10!  Pull the GPU rely only on the on board graphics to load the OS, I do not believe any board will fire up a an add on GPU without a system and drivers.  You only need the mouse at first to start loading the OS.  By the time you get to the COA the key board should work just fine.

Correct I have not loaded W10 yet. And for now I am using my integrated graphics. I am not sure how to get past the POST screen without a keyboard. From what I have seen it seems like a mouse does not work at this screen. My only options are F2 for setup or F1 to continue. 

Thanks

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:33 AM

In other words you also do not have the mouse working.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:35 AM

Will the mouse work in either F1 or F2 ?

Edited by OldPhil, 09 December 2018 - 11:35 AM.

#9 hockey71

hockey71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:45 AM

I am not familiar enough with the CMOS screen to know if a mouse is even supposed to work. I have plugged in a flash drive, mouse, and keyboard into the motherboard and all of them light up, so I know they are receiving power, but none of them function. I have even tried to charge my cell phone through one of the back USBs and this also works. 

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:49 AM

At this point my old brain can't come up with more, though there has to be a solution, hope the smarter guys/gals can come up with a trick or two!

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:57 AM

One more thought, contact ASRock it is possible they may have an idea.

#12 falcon17

falcon17

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Why not load the OS without the GPU, then re-add the GPU after installation of the OS 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users