Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot 9/10, then just loop boots...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Squeezil

Squeezil

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:46 AM

So about a week back, I was using my computer and it suddenly said shutting down. I then thought maybe it was doing an update, so I attempted to press the power button once off. However, before I could do so It restarted of its own accord, and then failed to actually boot for more than a handful of seconds over and over again. Eventually it did work and I used it for hours on end, and it repeated the shutting down issue eventually. While I had the computer working for that short stint, I tried to look at temperatures for the CPU and it showed 25 at boot, the Memtest86 I ran showed no memory issues after 4 passes, and the HP scan for hardware issues showed nothing. Totally dejected, I then tried to change my PSU to no avail, then did a little trial and error with the RAM chips, the GPU, and the Harddrive, once again...... to no avail. I attempted to get a response on Reddit and was met with utterly obvious suggestions, so I hope I can get more success here!

Thanks in advance! :D

PS, here's a little clip I made of the issue (ignore the rear repetitive noise that's my heater)

http://tinypic.com/r/261cllz/9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:25 AM

I'm going to throw out a guess. If detaching the hard drive still gives the problem use only one RAM stick and switching it between slots after every boot. Then swapping in a new stick doing the same thing. It may be a bad stick. Memtest should be done for at least 6 passes but because the shutdown happens fairly quickly after boot that may not be the problem.

This could be a defective power switch. Detach the switch from the motherboard header and short the two pins as shown in the below video. If the computer starts immediately and stays running replace the switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4FOBL1c3pA

It could also be a problem between the case and the motherboard. Breadboarding can sometimes determine if this is the problem. If you don't feel comfortable doing any of these things then take it to a good shop for diagnosis.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2176482/breadboarding-stripping-basics-troubleshooting.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users