Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck6265

Chuck6265

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

:thumbsup: I am running Windows XP Home. I have a problem with my hard Drive. Sometimes when you boot up you get a RED Error display saying "can't find the hard drive. I've learned to change the jumper on the drive from MASTER to CABLE SELECT and it boots up and runs just fine. Then at a later date (MAYBE A MONTH THE SAME THING HAPPENS) and I change the jumper back to MASTER and it works just fine again. I was wondering if I could put jumpers on both Master and CS if that might work. I didn't want to try it in case I could screw something up. If some of you know the answer to this please reply. Chuck6265

(Moderator note and edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 17 October 2006 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

NO!!! It'll (at best) confuse the drive - at worst it can actually destroy your data!

Sounds like mobo drivers or BIOS problems. Could you give us some information about the make and model of your computer/motherboard?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:50 PM

Try changing the IDE ribbon cable and make sure you get the newer 80 wire cable.

Connect the Master Drive to the END connector of the IDE cable - the middle connector is for a slave drive only.

Put the jumper on Master.

(do you have a slave hard drive installed?)

#4 Chuck6265

Chuck6265
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, Enthusiast. I will change the ribbon. No I do not have a slave hard drive installed. I never thought it could be the ribbon as it works most of the time. I am running a generic PC that I built several years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users