Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vanishing Mouse Cursor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Randyman

Randyman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

I really don't know where to post this, so please bear with me. I have a brand-new Dell Optiplex 745. I started using it today for the first time. All went well while I was corking, when suddenly the mouse cursor disappeared while I was installing WINRAR. I rebooted, and there was the cursor, back again during the boot process - right up until the taskbar at the bottom of the screen started appearing. The the cursor vanished again. The funny thing is, it's still active. When I hit the Ctrl button, I can tell where it is. When I move it over an icon, I can perform all the usual mouse functions. Except that I can't see the cursor, no matter what. I have changed it to a large black cursor for better visibility, I turned on the mouse trails. No luck. During reboot, it's there - but as soon as the toolbar (or is taskbar?) at the bottom of the screen appears, the cursor goes away and stays away. I uninstalled everything I had installed, and called the Dell technician. Predictably, he had no clue. I tried to restore the system, but since I had only just started using it, there was no restore point available. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

There should have been a restore point from when you installed WinRar.

By default Windows creates one everytime you install or uninstall a program.

The thing to try now is to boot to safe mode and choose "Last Known Good Configuration"

If that doesn't work have Dell support repair it with their new remote service.

If they cannot - demand a new computer as this one is brand new.

#3 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:45 AM

Just wondering if you have an extra mouse laying around try connecting that one just to see if you
have the same problem

Have a Good Day :thumbsup:

#4 Randyman

Randyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:03 AM

Guys, thanks for your suggestions. First - no matter what I did, I could not restore the system to an earlier point. There were restore points, but none of them worked. Second - I tried another mouse, but that changed nothing. I also already knew that my mouse was active - I could do everything with the mouse that I usually do, but I could not see the mouse cursor. It was maddening. So this morning I systematically set about uninstalling everything. The first to go was Google Desktop. Guess what - the moment I uninstalled it, the mouse cursor came back. So you can guess what I am not installing again anytime soon.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for letting us know the solution! It'll help someone else who get's "bitten" by this bug in the Google Desktop! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users