Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

POP mail accounts on iPad

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jaded7

Jaded7

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:15 PM

Hi. I'm trying to add a POP 3(?) mail account to an ipad. (I do not want an IMAP account).  The process is currently only offering IMAP. Is it possible to achieve a POP account?  TIA. J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 falcon17

falcon17

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

What is your email provider? Outlook, yahoo, gmail?

#3 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:02 PM

My own iPad is IMAP, but this Apple site (archived, not updated) is all I found, and says it's better suited to one device usage-

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201855
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#4 Jaded7

Jaded7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

I have 4 email addresses. 1 x hotmail, 2 x talktalk all work ok on Thunderbird on my pc.  My gmail address on the pc will not install as POP.

I currently have 1 x hotmail on the ipad, works ok, but when I try to install my gmail address on the ipad, the only server option offered is IMAP. I want POP if at all possible. J.

#5 Jaded7

Jaded7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

I have 4 email addresses. 1 x hotmail, 2 x talktalk all work ok on Thunderbird on my pc.  My gmail address on the pc will not install as POP.

I currently have 1 x hotmail on the ipad, works ok, but when I try to install my gmail address on the ipad, the only server option offered is IMAP. I want POP if at all possible. J.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:40 PM

Why? Unless this is the one and only device on which you will access email POP access is a terrible idea. There's a reason email providers strongly favor IMAP.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 Jaded7

Jaded7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

If a moderator gets involved, I must be wrong. Sorry. Bye.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

It's not because I'm a moderator that you're wrong.  Those of us who moderate here participate just like the general membership does on many topics.

You stated, "I have 4 email addresses. 1 x hotmail, 2 x talktalk all work ok on Thunderbird on my pc," then indicate that you are going to be accessing these accounts on multiple devices.  Unless you exercise unusual care in reconfiguring POP defaults, that way lies madness.   Most POP downloading instantly removes messages from the server when the download completes.  This means that once you've done a send/receive on one device the messages are no longer available for download to the other(s).  POP is client driven, not server driven.

IMAP was invented to prevent just this problem.  All messages remain on the server, and any device you configure to view them will show you exactly the same thing as any other device you are using.  Most people want synchrony across devices for their entire collection of e-mail, and IMAP provides it, seamlessly.  It also has the added advantage of:

1.  Allowing you to change e-mail client programs and/or computers and/or other devices at will without losing a single thing or needing to port anything.

2.  Acting as a built-in e-mail backup.  You can be sure the data center where your e-mail server resides has a far more stringent backup protocol than any home user would.  When they back up their e-mail servers your mail that resides on same is backed-up as part of that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 837 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

Just to add:

My last POP3 was Outlook Express, the standard email client on XP, and I adjusted settings to leave messages on server after downloading, enabling me to access messages from elsewhere until manually deleting from server. With two to three XP computers with the same POP3 OE client here, accessibility was OK among those computers, but eventually lent some confusion as the below snip explains-

"Multi-access using PCs configured to use POP3

In the past, most computer email programs have been configured to use POP3 by default. That means that it was at least difficult (and often very confusing) to have more than one computer accessing the same email account. Messages would get downloaded to whichever PC happened to get mail first.

The confusion happens because after computer A in the example above downloads messages 1, 2, and 3, they are removed from the server. When computer B comes along, all that it sees are messages that have arrived after computer A downloaded the mail.
One solution to this problem is to instruct computer A, and possibly computer B, to not delete messages after downloading. Thats typically a Leave Messages on Server setting in the advanced account configuration settings of the email account. This way, the messages are left on the server and are downloaded to both computers A and B.
Unfortunately, this exposes another annoyance. When you delete a message on computer A, it remains on computer B and on the mail server. To truly remove it, youd want to delete it on each. Thats something that you would need to do explicitly.
It can work, but its easy for the computers and you and I to quickly get confused."

https://askleo.com/how_do_i_deal_with_one_email_account_on_two_machines/

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:38 PM

r.a.d.

Thank you very, very much for the link to that Ask Leo! article.  I have written variants on the POP vs IMAP portion more times than I care to remember and really, really hate having to do them at this point.  Now I have something that serves as a great reference on "how things work" behind the scenes, including webmail.

I really had thought that POP would have been retired years ago, but it persists.  I cannot think of a single reason to prefer it over IMAP access, which has very largely supplanted it and can't kill off POP one moment too soon.

~ Mark Twain

#11 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 837 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:00 PM

britechguy, happier now to have run across it, you're more than welcome.

Years back, Ask Leo was a resource I turned towards many times.

#12 Jaded7

Jaded7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:35 PM

I regret now my original post, and the subsequent waste of your time. I can only say that over many years of using POP without problems. This was followed by the introduction of a gmail address into our family communications. (I believe? with an IMAP server) We found that there were unexplained deletions: ie an email deletion on one device, deleted the copy of that same email on the other devices. Hence my wish to revert to POP.This would seem to be totally at variance with your explanation of POP/IMAP design criteria. Please accept that I am pre-WWII vintage and the elderly do make mistakes. They also think that the convenience of email contact with extended family members and generations is a blessing!

I accept your superior knowledge and will try to adapt to IMAP. J

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:56 PM

If you wish to revert to POP there is nothing that's stopping you from doing so, and I'll explain how shortly.

Those "unexplained deletions" are something that the vast majority want and seek out.  They want their e-mail account, when viewed from any given device, to be presenting them with precisely the same information they'd be getting when viewing it from any other device.  That was almost entire reason for IMAP coming into being when the era of mobile devices and multiple access points for the same e-mail accounts became prevalent.

If you prefer POP, Gmail still supports it, but you'll have to log in to the Gmail web interface in order to activate it.  Once you've logged in to gmail (at gmail.google.com or mail.google.com) click on the settings icon (looks like a gear and is toward the upper right corner of the window) then choose Settings from the dropdown menu that appears.  Once the settings window comes up look across the top line and you'll see Forwarding and POP/IMAP toward the right, click on that.  You will then have to choose to enable POP using one of the two radio buttons, and I cannot say whether that would be for all mail that's come in already or whether for e-mail that's will come in from this moment on - that's your call.  Then also choose how you want Google to deal with messages downloaded by POP via the dropdown box - another choice you'll have to make.

In the end, I'd still advise against POP access if one is using multiple access devices and is not using webmail as the access method.  IMAP is a better method for keeping "everyone on the same page" no matter where they're viewing a given e-mail account from.  But, the choice is yours.

Since many, including yourself prior to reading something like the reference r.a.d. gave, have no idea of what the behaviors (and resulting ramifications) of either access method are they cannot make an informed choice, and often choose POP then end up utterly confused when what they see on one device differs from what they see on another.  If you do understand what each choice entails as far as accessing mail on multiple devices, then you're making an informed choice.

Edited by britechguy, 09 December 2018 - 01:13 PM.
Multiple "tiny edits" for the sake of clarity. My fingers got ahead of my thoughts, or vice versa, at the time of original composition.

~ Mark Twain

#14 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 837 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:07 PM

@Jaded7, and please don't regret your earlier post at all, you wasted no one's time, but rather provided an access point for others who may have the same, or similar question. 

#15 Jaded7

Jaded7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

Gentlemen (all),  I'm grateful to you for your time and trouble, in today's high-speed world. I have copied and pasted the info into a document and will study it in order to make an informed choice.   I ought really to be able to ask one of my grandsons for help. But they have recently discovered the distaff side!  Thanks again. J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users