Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need email account recovery, help greatly appreciated, like beyond belief

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jixxer1112

Jixxer1112

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:59 PM

Hi, all, I'm really dumb when it comes to computers. I have an interesting problem and would be so grateful for help. I'd even gladly send a small monetary reward for success. A few years ago, I made a fake email account on my PC so I could tell a work colleague that the entire office was gossiping about her affair with our married boss. I thought she should know. That boss just fired me, and I'd like to have that email as proof of retaliation. Sadly, I cannot remember what the fake email address was; what name I invented to get it; whether I used gmail or yahoo or whatever; or whether I was using Firefox, Chrome or IE. I'm pretty sure I used a girl's name, but I have no information to go on. This is the same computer though. Is there any way to get that email back? I'd really, really appreciate this help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:53 PM

My guess is that you used webmail of some sort? If so, really no way of knowing. Webmail would not have kept a record on your computer unless possibly in the cookies and then even so prob long gone if it was a few years ago.

#3 Jixxer1112

Jixxer1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:51 PM

My guess is that you used webmail of some sort? If so, really no way of knowing. Webmail would not have kept a record on your computer unless possibly in the cookies and then even so prob long gone if it was a few years ago.

Hi, man, I dunno, I'm pretty sure I used Google or Yahoo. Thanks for reply though

#4 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

A few years ago, I made a fake email account on my PC so I could tell a work colleague that the entire office was gossiping about her affair with our married boss. I thought she should know.

If your intentions were honourable, why not just walk up and whisper in her ear? A good lesson in a reason not to get involved in others private affairs. <s'cuse pun>

That boss just fired me, and I'd like to have that email as proof of retaliation.

To what end? Are you planning on challenging the dismissal?

You say that this happened "a few years ago" and the boss only just recently fired you? Something isn't adding up here.

Sadly, I cannot remember what the fake email address was; what name I invented to get it; whether I used gmail or yahoo or whatever; or whether I was using Firefox, Chrome or IE. I'm pretty sure I used a girl's name, but I have no information to go on. This is the same computer though. Is there any way to get that email back? I'd really, really appreciate this help. 

If this email was sent a few years ago as you've stated, then you have no hope of any of the information still being retained in your computer's cache. Even if it were, then given that both Yahoo and Gmail use SSL servers to host their online email facilities, the chances of the email address you used having been recorded in any readable fashion by your computer are zero.

The answer to your dilemma resides in your own memory - find a qualified hypnotist to try and help you recover the information you've forgotten. Saving a solution like that, having the same computer that you used back then will be of no help to you at all.

Alternatively, ask your boss' mistress to see if she remembers who you emailed her as.

Edited by achzone, 06 December 2018 - 05:03 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:02 PM

If you have no idea what the account was then, honestly, how could you expect anyone else to venture an informed guess?

Also, you have no evidence of anything, nor would you have it by having that message.  You'd have to prove the supervisor had it (which is going to be very hard to prove) and, even if they did, that sort of message, were it traceable directly back to you, could easily be used as justification for dismissal with cause.  What you did is just not done.  

If this information was to be conveyed it should have been done in person and in private.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users