Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

clean hard drive before discarding computer how to

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:59 AM

I have a drill press I keep in my garage back from my days working as a chippy that I'll often use for such tasks when a client asks me to permanently destroy a drive, leaving zero chance of recovery. The sound of the platters shattering when a 3/4" drill bit penetrates the drive is also strangely satisfying for some reason. Two or three passes with my drill press and I just dispose of the drive with the rest of our household garbage :)

This is my method after dban, at work, when we need to discard a drive that may contain customer info. Home stuff, I'm with Brian.I really am not that interesting to warrant NSA attention.

Edited by xrobwx, 07 December 2018 - 09:02 AM.

7581204627.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:19 PM

the best way to get rid of data...that you never intended to create,....that you don't intendf....is to never create it in the first place...than to have to get over it later. just sayin

#18 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:20 PM

dont ever create anything that you don't want following u i n t he first place or you' shall ge a 2nd

w 

#19 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:48 PM

Depending on the drive itself I have a 120G HDD IDE laying around somewhere, can you even find an MB with an IDE connection on it anymore? It may well be obsolete, there are ways of overwriting a drive, but as monticello replied, such a tangible and satisfying solution! There will be no possible data recovery after using the hammer method,  :grinner:

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to my query about discarding a hard drive--I am convinced that I will indeed opt for the large hammer approach--such a tangible and satisfying solution!  

As usual ,,,a great moderation...for those that deserve not moderation....I am amazed at your technical prowess....never to be out impressed yet...wow. very good. Thanks for the correction.

Correction recorded

#20 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:54 PM

Ok...then you are in to saving data...although wanting it gone... here is a powershell approach....for your safe keeping....lol

Here is ...the best method of deletion...for Windows 10...Please feel free to ask Jenae 1st. Cause he is. Always run as administrator. if you don't know how to do this...ask a forum member first. please

Get-Disk

Get-Disk 0 | Clear-Disk -RemoveData (Disk 0 is an example, your drive letter might be different)

Initialize-Disk 0

New-Partition -DiskNumber 0 -UseMaximumSize | Format-Volume -FileSystem NTFS -NewFileSystemLabel Archive (Archive is the name I chose for the file...choose whatever you want)

Get-Partition -DiskNumber 0 | Set-Partition -NewDriveLetter Z (disk Z is the letter I chose for my drive letter. You can choose any open letter that's not being used)

This method is good for those who want to securely delete an SSD hard drive best '

Edited by Mason21, 07 December 2018 - 11:15 PM.

#21 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:15 PM

This ..is instruction programming. sorry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users