Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer problem?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bobpat

bobpat

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:10 AM

Not sure if anyone here can help me?

I recently purchased a Canon Pixma MG3600 as my old printer wasn't recognised by my NEW windows 10 O/S :(

Anyway I can't print with it now.

It was OK for a week or so, but now I just get a message......"An error occurred while printing".

I went to the Canon community and asked this question, but no one has replied.

What happens is......

Open print preview =OK.  Then print, and get a window asking to save, with nothing in the "File name" (not sure what to put in there) :blush:

I came out of that and then the message = ."An error occurred while printing".

I can scan though.

Any help gratefully received. :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:12 AM

The first thing I always try in circumstances like this is going to Canon's support site, downloading the complete driver and software package for your device (and for your operating system, or as close as you can get [e.g., Windows 8.1 for Windows 10 when no Windows 10-specific download exists]), deleting the device from Devices and Printers, then reinstalling the whole package.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 bobpat

bobpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:21 AM

Thank you for the quick reply britechguy.

I didn't think about upgrading the driver  I assumed  as it's a new Printer it would have the latest one?

And the O/s was  changed only  a couple of weeks back, and win update doesn't show anything. :unsure:

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:37 AM

It really doesn't matter "what makes sense."   I have seen so many idiosyncratic corruptions, for lack of a better term, over my decades working with PCs that I cannot count them.

Some people love to spend tons of time trying to track down the actual root cause of these, and I was once one of them.  I no longer am because if one can do a non-destructive reinstall to fix something, those generally take far, far, far less time and effort than the detective work to find what may have caused an issue to begin with.  When working for others that means less expense for them, too.

Only on the very rare occasion when an issue insists on recurring is heavy duty detective work justified.  I literally cannot recall the last time this sort of situation occurred in my travels with my own machines or those of my clients.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 falcon17

falcon17

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:15 AM

go to printers and devices and do you see your Cannon printer in that option.

If not than you may have to redownload the drivers.

From what your explaning, when you click print it is going to a "save as" to me it sounds like the printer is not setup. 

#6 bobpat

bobpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:26 PM

go to printers and devices and do you see your Cannon printer in that option.

If not than you may have to redownload the drivers.

From what your explaining, when you click print it is going to a "save as" to me it sounds like the printer is not setup. 

Thank you,

The printer does show, albeit greyed out?

I right clicked on it and selected "troubleshoot" but nothing detected?

Now I really am confused :smash:

#7 bobpat

bobpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:27 PM

It really doesn't matter "what makes sense."   I have seen so many idiosyncratic corruptions, for lack of a better term, over my decades working with PCs that I cannot count them.

Some people love to spend tons of time trying to track down the actual root cause of these, and I was once one of them.  I no longer am because if one can do a non-destructive reinstall to fix something, those generally take far, far, far less time and effort than the detective work to find what may have caused an issue to begin with.  When working for others that means less expense for them, too.

Only on the very rare occasion when an issue insists on recurring is heavy duty detective work justified.  I literally cannot recall the last time this sort of situation occurred in my travels with my own machines or those of my clients.

Should I maybe reload the disk that came with it?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:38 PM

Is the printer shown as Offline? Turn on the Printer. In Devices and Printers right click the Canon printer and select See What's Printing. In the new window click Printer and uncheck Use Printer Offline. 

It's best to download the latest drivers from the Canon support site. The ones on disk may be older.

#9 bobpat

bobpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:50 PM

Is the printer shown as Offline? Turn on the Printer. In Devices and Printers right click the Canon printer and select See What's Printing. In the new window click Printer and uncheck Use Printer Offline. 

It's best to download the latest drivers from the Canon support site. The ones on disk may be older.

Did as you said John Thanks.

the "use printer offline" isn't checked.

so I guess I'll have to download from canon's site then. :)

will have to wait until tomorrow now, as got to go out.

will let you all know how it goes :thumbup2:

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

As Brian posted, make sure you uninstall the current ones first.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:59 PM

And, presuming the reinstall works (and I'm willing to bet it will), this is why I don't try to do a lot of the "little niggly stuff" and just reinstall when that takes very little time.  It just increases my frustration level when nothing's working and, in the end, I have to reinstall anyway.

I eagerly await the original poster's report back after the new drivers and software have been obtained and installed.

~ Mark Twain

#12 misar

misar

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

Two thoughts.

Open print preview =OK.  Then print, and get a window asking to save, with nothing in the "File name"

- that sounds like printing to file or pdf, not to a Canon printer

The OP said the printer worked for a week then stopped.

- if he is using it as a WiFi device the cause could be a network issue rather than a sudden problem with the Canon driver or software.

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:33 PM

Hi, just for interest, we can check the status of a printer using powershell, it would tell us if windows actually see's the printer or not, regardless of it's method of connection. If this fails to reveal anything, then Brian's post #2 would be the way forward.

Press the win + x keys together, select powershell (admin) from the options. I have included two cmds the first shows only brief details the second really informs you, both open in notepad, so you could copy paste these outputs here if needed.

Copy each cmd separately, then right click anywhere in the PS window, the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter. The first one is brief.

get-WmiObject -class Win32_printer | ft name, systemName, shareName | out-file $homepath\printer.txt

Start notepad $homepath\printer.txt

wmic printer list full | out-file $homepath\Prints.txt

start notepad $homepath\prints.txt

Edited by jenae, 06 December 2018 - 07:35 PM.

#14 bobpat

bobpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:52 PM

OK, just spent half an hour finding and downloading the latest drivers.

And although I have some info on the screen in a reverse "L" box of icons bottom right of my PC (Helping Icons?) that I can easy  print photos and start cloud printing (whatever that is?). Plus other "useful" icons within the "L" box's

hope that makes sense :mellow: .

I still have the........... "An error occurred while printing." sign

Is this a faulty printer that I should  send  back maybe?

Regards

Bob

#15 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:04 PM

Hi, if you answered post #13 we might have a better idea, post the notepad outputs here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users