Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to allow sync your photos to google photos ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 digitalsagar

digitalsagar

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:31 AM

Hello everybody,

someone here who using google photos from a long time.

Do I want to know google photos are safe for backup my personal photos?

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2018 - 06:18 AM.
Moved from Tips/Trickes to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:07 AM

Depending on "how private" you want your photos to be, and whether the terms of use that grant Google specific rights for uploaded content suit you, are the determining factors of whether Google Photos is "safe" for any given individual.

If you have been using Google Photos for a long period of time and are happy with the service then reread the privacy policy and agreement regarding the rights you give Google for your photos.  Only you can make the final decision.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Bry89

Bry89

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:50 PM

An alternative for online backup would be Dropbox, which you can probably check out also.

>>mindsConnected<<

A smaller, close-knit tech-oriented community. Everybody welcome.

#4 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

Good question.

I'm another one that's been using Google Drive to backup personal family pics for quite some time now. I have thousands of irreplaceable memories stored up there. Always being mindful of the phrase "you get what you pay for" though I've also backed the lot up to a private Acronis cloud storage drive I pay for, so I'm fairly confident of never losing them. 

Though I don't make them publically available, it never occurred to me that others could access those photos or that Google may one day use them for something untoward. Given the vast majority are just family snaps though, I'd be surprised if Google or anyone else found any interest or use for them. To me, they're invaluable memories. To others? Meh

Edited by achzone, 06 December 2018 - 06:10 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,896 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

I will simply say that, in terms of backups, I am far more confident in the protocols followed by professional data centers than I am in what virtually anyone does at home.

Whether the cloud storage is free or not to "little guys" you can be certain that there are tons of paying customers whose data is kept on the same servers.

Having a cloud backup as well as a readily available local backup is the best way to ensure that at least one backup survives.  And if something is really, really, really critical you might even want to have three backups - two of which are not physically colocated with the original being backed up but would likely be on media that get swapped out with each other regularly.  Recovering massive amounts of data from the cloud is slow compared to doing so from local drives.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

Whether the cloud storage is free or not to "little guys" you can be certain that there are tons of paying customers whose data is kept on the same servers.

True, but the little guys don't get the same support and retrieval / recovery options that paying customers often do.

But there's another reason for my storing my own data on a cloud server I feel confident with - when uploading photos to Google drive, under a free plan, the copies of my photos are automatically downsized (DPI) if they happen to have been taken in a large resolution. This reduces both their quality and value to me. Uploading them to a cloud storage facility with something like Acronis True Image 2019 (which is what I use for my personal needs) guarantees I can retrieve that data in exactly the same quality it was in when it was uploaded. To me, that alone is worth the few bucks a year it costs me to safeguard my data.

Free doesn't necessarily equal bad and I make use of free solutions all the time. There are often other considerations that must be thought about if relying solely on those free backup solutions though.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,896 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:37 PM

Andrew,

If you allow Google to reduce your photo quality they allow you unlimited storage, but you can choose to keep your original quality as well.  I was originally keeping original quality until I decided that I have enough safety in my local backups and, although it would be incredibly sad to lose them, those photos are not my actual memories.

But, my central point is that Google even allows free users to keep full photo quality if they so choose.

~ Mark Twain

#8 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:51 PM

But, my central point is that Google even allows free users to keep full photo quality if they so choose

Thank you for that - I'll look into it again. I obviously didn't pay enough attention to the terms and conditions of use when I started using Google Photos to store my own family pics, so wasn't aware of what you've just explained.

Very much appreciate your reply and advice on this.

Edited by achzone, 06 December 2018 - 09:14 PM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,896 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:23 PM

Andrew,

See any one of a number of results of this search:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=google+photo+upload+quality

The first one is from Google itself, but I never know who will explain things in the best way for a given reader.

~ Mark Twain

#10 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:09 PM

The first one is from Google itself, but I never know who will explain things in the best way for a given reader.

Thanks, Brian. That search result was perfect and the google result was great. I just checked my settings and it turns out that I selected Original size for 15GB of free storage after all :)  I still have more than a dozen GBs available of free space too, so not likely to be an issue for me any time soon. I thought the space I was using would have been much more than that until I looked, to be honest.

Cheers mate. You've taught me something today :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users