Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB drive seems to be working okay but not seen by pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RedSkywalker

RedSkywalker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

I have a 2tb Seagate usb connected drive attached to my Win 7 pc.  I was using it as usual last night and went to call up another file from the drive which is when I discovered the drive could no longer be seen by the pc although it was still powered up and the lights were on.  I eventually loaded up Miniform partition master which could see the drive and reported it as having 2 partitions, one of 64 mb and the other of 1.8 tb but there was no drive letter.  Thinking that might be the problem I used Miniform to assign a drive letter.  This resulted in the pc seeing the drive okay but there was no data on the drive - all of my files are missing - is there a way for me to get them back?

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2018 - 12:30 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Backup/Imaging/Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Codes

Codes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:20 PM

Have you tried applying a drive letter in Windows disk manager?

Capture.png

Another option may be using a Live linux USB to access the files on your drive and get them off.

#3 RedSkywalker

RedSkywalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

Windows disc manager couldn't see the drive so I used Miniform to assign one which worked in as far as now Windows can see it BUT all it sees now is a blank hard drive with no files.  If there was a way to undo assigning a drive letter with Miniform I would do that.    Do you think linux would see the original files?

#4 Codes

Codes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:32 PM

Linux might, hopefully Miniform has not re-partitioned the drive and wiped the files. Whatever you do don't write anything to the drive and see if a partition recovery software can restore the drive.

EaseUS partition recovery is a free software that has worked for me before, give a Linux USB a go first then try that. Let us know how you go.

#5 RedSkywalker

RedSkywalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't partitioned because there were lots of options to partition, format, etc and it was pretty clear what each choice did and I only set another drive letter, so fingers crossed!

I am running Recuva just now and its found 1898 files so far with only 27% of the scan completed - no indication of whether it can recover them yet!  I think I'll let it run over night and then think about the linux option tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

#6 Codes

Codes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:53 PM

Best of luck

#7 falcon17

falcon17

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:08 PM

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't partitioned because there were lots of options to partition, format, etc and it was pretty clear what each choice did and I only set another drive letter, so fingers crossed!

I am running Recuva just now and its found 1898 files so far with only 27% of the scan completed - no indication of whether it can recover them yet!  I think I'll let it run over night and then think about the linux option tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

Recuva trial  version has only up to 2gb recovery...just a heads up :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users