Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Installing Win 7 on Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skuddle

skuddle

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:29 PM

I recently blew every file on my laptop's hard drive, so I downloaded a system installation ISO file named:

Win7_HomePrem_SP1_English_COEM_x64.iso

Then I used a programed named "Rufus" (version 3.3.) to "burn" the iso file to a USB stick. I inserted the stick into the laptop and loaded the windows installation file, but shortly after that the laptop reported that the CD/DVD driver file is missing. It then opened a Browse window so I could hunt for the missing file. I never found the missing file, in fact I never saw any files using Rufus, I only could see the folders.

How do I get my CDROM.sys file onto the hard drive and what do I have to do to get the system to recognize it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 falcon17

falcon17

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

I use this program to create bootable USB's from DVD's or ISO 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:29 PM

Rufus generally is a very safe and effective way of converting an OS ISO into a bootable USB memory stick but there are one or two traps for the unwary. Under 'Format options' the default is usually set to FreeDOS. This has to be changed to show 'ISO image' in the drop down box and then you use the button to the right to browse to the ISO file you wish to use..

If you leave the default at 'FreeDOS' it may burn a USB stick but it won't boot !  When you are installing from USB then there is no need for CD drivers so you shouldn't be asked for them. One other thing to check is that the boot order in your BIOS is set to USB first if it allows this.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:22 PM

Rather than change boot order in BIOS there is a one-time boot menu that allows you to choose what device to boot from, CD, USB, HDD, Network, Boot manager (UEFI)

Important!! You must have the USB drive inserted for that option to appear on the menu.

When the computer is first started/restarted press one of the F keys depending on your motherboard, F8 for ASUS, F12 Intel, this one-time boot menu allows you to boot from USB for that boot without changing BIOS. Check your MB manual or website for the exact key, or combination of keys. I've attached the screen below.

Attached File  Boot Option Menu.PNG   184.55KB   0 downloads

Edited by CmmTch, 05 December 2018 - 09:24 PM.

Steve

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:40 AM

I have heard about this problem but have never had to reinstall Windows so not sure about this...

The problem might be that the USB port you are using is 3.0 (blue color) and Windows USB 3.0 drivers are not included in the ISO - seems to never be an issue when using USB 2.0 (black color) ports.

What do you observe about the USB ports on your system of unspecified make and model?

So you might be able to make a temporary BIOS adjustment to switch off 3.0, or when the install balks with the error, remove the USB stick and plug it into a 2.0 port and continue, or attempt the install from a USB 2.0 (black color) port, or if only 3.0 ports are available and no way to temporarily disable 3.0 in BIOS you will need to incorporate USB 3.0 drivers into the installation ISO (I don't know how to do that but have seen instructions somewhere).

Read through these many (some ridiculous) ideas from Toms' Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2041469/windows-installation-required-dvd-drive-device-driver-missing.html

Edited by joseibarra, 06 December 2018 - 01:51 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:16 PM

Win7_HomePrem_SP1_English_COEM_x64.iso

I inserted the stick into the laptop and loaded the windows installation file, but shortly after that the laptop reported that the CD/DVD driver file is missing. It then opened a Browse window so I could hunt for the missing file. 

For starters you are trying to use an OEM iso, and therefore most likely not authorized to install on your computer.

Second, don't worry about the drivers, can't you just move forward with the install?

This is what the iso file name should be: Win7_HomePrem_SP1_English_x64.iso

Choose the appropriate legal version you have on the sticker on your pc and download it HERE

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:10 PM

Look at this link, https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html Read it carefully and follow the directions exactly, it has everything you need to successfully install Win7. The Win7 download links no longer work without a retail license key, but you've got an iso, so you can just follow the directions to boot/install from a USB.

Go here and use Option #2 to create a bootable USB https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html Substitute Win7 in place of the references to W10.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users