Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just a quick Kudos from my observations over the last few weeks

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

Just in the way of some general feedback about this forum

Acting in a mod capacity myself at another forum, I know what a thankless (and often frustrating) job it can be, so I thought I'd post a quick "Kudos" to the mods at this forum.

I've been logging in on a daily basis to Bleeping Computer of late and I've yet to see a single Spam / Advertising / Garbage post that hasn't already been dealt with when I click on the list of new posts from my notifications list, which makes for a far more pleasant and noise free visiting experience.

Given the popularity of Bleeping Computer, I personally find that very impressive indeed, so congratulations to the Bleeping Computer Moderator team for doing an exceptionally great job.

Keep up the excellent work guys.

Sincerely, Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:02 PM

One reason spam disappears so quickly here is because of the international makeup of the staff. Those Aussies

and others see the most new spam while we in the States are still snoring. The non-staff members who frequently visit alert us when

they spot spam in posts in Topics they are viewing or have commented on. That makes it difficult for spam to slip by.

Thanks for taking the time for giving the compliments....much appreciated.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:03 PM

We do have the best mod team here :)

Thanks for your compliments!

#4 achzone

achzone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:12 PM

Those Aussies and others see the most new spam while we in the States are still snoring.

That just makes it even more impressive to my mind - see, I am an "Aussie" myself (check my profile) and not once have I been able to view a spam post - it was already dealt with.

That on its own is a testament to the dedication of the Mods here and how quickly they jump on the garbage because I'd expect to at least catch one or two spam posts to report - yet not "once" to date. Excellent work.

I rarely take the time to open a thread like this unless I feel it's very well deserved and earned - this forum qualified for the effort.

Keep it up guys - you're doing a fantastic job and your efforts are very much appreciated.

Edited by achzone, 04 December 2018 - 07:13 PM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:48 PM

Thank you for your kind words achzone.  It truly is a team effort to keep atop of all the spam that appears.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 838 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:10 PM

If I may slip in another kudo, the Malware Response Team (of which a friend from past forums went through the training) is of the highest caliber in skill, dedication and contributive assistance on their own time, which is admirable.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#7 Bry89

Bry89

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:36 AM

I had seen a spammer around here and, it appears to have been dealt with in like a few seconds. This is what I expect for any forum, and this is what I like to see. You guys deserve a pat on the back :)

>>mindsConnected<<

A smaller, close-knit tech-oriented community. Everybody welcome.

#8 alanchippy

alanchippy

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:38 AM

I'm with you in sending congratulations on an excellent job of policing/running this forum.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,895 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:29 AM

I had seen a spammer around here and, it appears to have been dealt with in like a few seconds. This is what I expect for any forum, and this is what I like to see.

When it comes to being spam-free, it's amazing how many venues just don't seem to care.

Also when it comes to being spam-free, the price is eternal vigilance.  BC is blessed with a user community who values the absence of spam as much as staff does, and we get a lot of help in the form of member reports.  It is also a really great thing that we have staff that "circles the globe" so there's likely someone on the moderating team floating around BC at any given hour of the day or night anywhere.  It makes containment and cleanup so much easier!

In any case, thank you kindly to all who've had such glowing words for the BC staff and BC as a whole.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:00 PM

Thank you for the complimentary topic, for myself, I'm very glad to be able to be part of such a great team.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:32 PM

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the compliment, the team here is great.

PS

Melbourne? Well nobody is perfect.

Edited by NickAu, 05 December 2018 - 08:35 PM.

#12 achzone

achzone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:46 PM

PS

Melbourne? Well nobody is perfect.

Ahahaha... :hysterical:

Well no, not Melbourne actually! That was just for my profile.

If you want to get technical, I'm actually in Hoppers Crossing, which is a good half hours drive from Melbourne with no traffic - you can easily double that travel time for peak hour times.

Hoppers Crossing is God's own country - 20 minutes from the bay to launch my boat for some fishing, 20 minutes from a farm I have permission to hunt vermin (Rabbits, Foxes etc) on, and 20 minutes away from my favourite SSAA all calibre Shooting range where you can even fire a cannon so long as you're licensed. The only bad thing about the place is that it was a small country town when I moved here over 30 years ago - now it's become a bit too built up for my liking, but I'm gettin old and have grown roots now :)

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:00 PM

Hoppers Crossing? Didn't you guys have a major problem with Drop bears attacking people not so long ago?

#14 achzone

achzone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

Didn't you guys have a major problem with Drop bears attacking people not so long ago?

LoL! Nah, don't believe everything you read on the Internet Nick.

We do have many dangerous animals here in Australia, but drop bears aren't one of them.

Besides, if you have a 12 Guage side by side at the ready while trecking in the bush, it's all just fun and sport anyway <g>

(joking!)

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,895 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:34 PM

I thought I had recalled a drop bear being somewhat parallel to, say, the jackelope and it is, but much more fierce!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what+is+a+drop+bear 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users