Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware for Digital Video.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nicknite

nicknite

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 18 December 2004 - 02:32 PM

Okay you geeks!! Give me some help. What do you suggest for a minimum (or higher end) CPU speed and memory for digital video. I currently run Pinnacle which bogs down when i use my current computer 1.7 CPU with 512memory.
Thanks, Nicknite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:45 PM

I use a 1.7ghz too. It does bog down when I do video editing. And I also have 512 ram.

I say 2.1 min. Or 2.0. Just guessing I dont do it full time. If you want to be safe go full time AMD like pc3200.

Or get a good 3.6ghz pentium.

#3 nicknite

nicknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2004 - 07:33 PM

Thanks Austin Z. Another question is there any advatage to AMD over Intel or vice-versa. Also why does AMD say that there chip is a 3.2 but only has a speed of 2.4? Does the intel chip have this same issue or is it's rating of 3.2 truly 3.2?
Thanks,
Nicknite

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:11 PM

I know that this may not help, but different manufacturers use different testing for their speeds. It is like Ford and Chevy, I suppose. One opinion is that one maker uses specific processes that the other does not.

As for your original question, I have a 2.4 Athlon w/ 512 RAM and can do video editing all day long without much bogging it down. Do you have a video card? Having one that is not embedded would help tremendesly.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 12:02 PM

A 3.2 AMD is as a rule about as fast as an Intel running at 3.2 GHz, even though it only runs at 2.4. Which is AMDs scale. Intel will be telling you Hz are everything, while AMD will tell you Hz aren't that important.

Anyway, in the latest comparisons, Intel, with chips with hyperthreading, has been coming out ahead of AMD in video editing.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:09 PM

Ok about the AMD. Im planning on making a pc and asked the same questions. You know the speed thing and many other questions.

See a AMD is faster than a Intel or pentiums regardless of the GHZ speed. Why? Because just because Intel says it runs at 2.6ghz that only says how fast it can do it.

What it doesnt say is how much it can do in one hour!

If you want to see the questions I asked and the answers I got go here to this board and take a look at my post.

Some of my questions are stupid but its ok thats why I ask.
http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/index.php...038&#entry55038
Enjoy I hope I have helped if not sign up and ask Serebraldamage...

#7 nicknite

nicknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:35 PM

Everyone thanks for the input. It appears that AMD is the leader in everyones choice. Also it appears that a good video card is much needed. Anybody have an idea on the specs i should look for in a video card?
Thanks,
Nicknite

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:40 PM

I can suggest a good vdeo card, but need some help.

How much are you willing to spend?

Most "factory" computers do not come with a dedicated video card, but some do. You can d/l this program ~Everest Home to find out for sure. You may have to post back the report as it can be encryptive.

#9 nicknite

nicknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 06:45 PM

CGM3: your dialog of last summer was good and helpful thanks.

JE: my budget is around $1000-1200 for the complete computer. Right now i calculate New Box w/ps+ extra fan $125; mobo (MSI) $125; CPU $225; RAM 2x512 $200, 200-300gb hdd $200; leaving me with $50-250. I have a DVD+-RW and a CD-ROM i am stealing from my current comp. I think this will work. To answer your original question what kind of video card can i get for $200 keeping in mind i'm not a gamer but need to speed my digital video.
Thanks,
Nicknite

#10 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:45 PM

You can easily get a 256MG video card for around $200. I am sorry that I can not provide a link at this time, but I should have more time later this evening.

I would suggest that you check out Newegg.com. Use "256MG video card" in the search box, and you will get an idea on what you can get.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:11 PM

I suggest ATI's All in one wonder card!

Its a good card I heard. Infact go to:http://www.newegg.com

Take a look at the reviews on some of there cards. I use ATI in my laptop and a voodoo in my pc. My old pc has a very small 16mb voodoo card I installed myself some years back.

There very easy to install.

I wish I had 1200 to build a pc. My pc is going to be 600-650 max for now upgrades in the future.

Im going as you seen in those posts for a monster CPU and MB for now. I also am planning on getting a good SATA HD for spead and a normal HD around 200gb or so for storage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users