Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In Product Messaging Application stopped working Error Message

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DadaMan

DadaMan

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:03 AM

Dear Friends,

Hope all is well...

Been getting a "In Product Messaging Application stopped working" error message window.

I'd like to disable it for the most part as it doesn't seem to affect the computer. Or maybe fix whatever it is that's causing it?!?

Help or suggestions appreciated very much.

Thank You for your precious time and considerations.

Best, Raphael

Dell E6400 Latitude

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3983 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1767 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (170 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U692R
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2018 - 02:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:07 PM

Take A Look...

Louis

#3 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

Take A Look...

Louis

Thank YOU Louis! I'll look into that more.
I did use Avira and I used their removal tool before I installed MSE.
The registry might hold some clues as well!?
Apparently there are adjustments that can be made through the Windows Advanced Firewall Security/Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

I'll post back as soon as I get some results. Feel free to chime in at anytime please.

Cheers, 
:wink:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:15 PM

ipmGui.exe's description is "Avira In Product Messaging"

ipmGui.exe should be located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivir desktop\ folder. Is that folder still present and if so does it contain any files?

It appears there are numerous similar complaints by users going back many years and no definite answer by Avira.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:24 PM

ipmGui.exe's description is "Avira In Product Messaging"

ipmGui.exe should be located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivir desktop\ folder. Is that folder still present and if so does it contain any files?

It appears there are numerous similar complaints by users going back many years and no definite answer by Avira.

Thank You! 
The answer is an astounding yes.
What should we do?
2wf1rx2.jpg2m3il8k.jpg

Edited by DadaMan, 01 December 2018 - 08:26 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:59 PM

The Avira uninstall tool apparently did not do it's job.

You could boot into safe mode and delete the folder but there probably will be a lot of registry entries remaining.

I suggest you use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

However since you already attempted to remove the Avira and failed, use Revo Uninstaller Pro (free for 30 days) which has an audit feature you can enable in order to track all changes made during the install.

#7 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:07 AM

The Avira uninstall tool apparently did not do it's job.

You could boot into safe mode and delete the folder but there probably will be a lot of registry entries remaining.

I suggest you use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

However since you already attempted to remove the Avira and failed, use Revo Uninstaller Pro (free for 30 days) which has an audit feature you can enable in order to track all changes made during the install.

Thank You!
Nothing seems to work!
I've sent a message to the CEO of Avira Travis Witteveen.

Ridiculous...
Have a blessed day ahead.
Raphael

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:18 AM

You're welcome.

Let us know what Avira has to say...it may help others looking for a solution.

#9 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

You're welcome.

Let us know what Avira has to say...it may help others looking for a solution.

Dear Friends,

Hope all is well.
Here are the Avira Removal instructions directly from a Avira Service Engineer..and it does appear to remove "everything" Be sure to follow ALL the steps.
Have a great day ahead...
Kind regards, Raphael

Thank you for contacting the Avira Customer Service.  
In order to completely remove the Avira products from your computer, I recommend you to perform a manual uninstall in Safe Mode by following the below steps:
1. Download our Registry Cleaner by clicking here.
2. Restart your computer in safe mode. In case you need instructions to restart your computer in Safe Mode for Windows 8 click here and for Windows 10 click here 
3. Clean Windows Registry 
- Run the downloaded Registry Cleaner program (Refer to Step 1) by double-clicking on RegCleaner.exe.
- After clicking on Scan for keys, activate the option Select all and click on Delete.
4. Navigate to Computer-Local Disk C-Program Files(x86)-Avira and delete manually all Avira directories available
5. Navigate to Computer-Local Disk C-Program Data-Avira and delete manually all Avira directories available 
Note: The Program Data folder is usually hidden; therefore, please follow the steps from this article to make it visible.
6. Restart your Computer into Windows normal mode; your Avira product should be completely removed now.
Let me know how everything worked out and if you have any other questions or need any kind of help, do not hesitate to contact me back. I will be more than glad to help.
I look forward to your reply.
Best regards, 
Avira Customer Service Engineer

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:19 AM

Hi all!

FWIW, here is the download link to the Avira Registry Cleaner, which is specifically designed to remove all Avira Anti-Virus' registry entries:

https://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-registrycleaner/1/

Normally the Avira RegistryCleaner removes all entries that were created by Avira. In this way, it prepares your system for the installation of a new version.

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

In Post #3, the OP advised he already tried the Avira's removal tool.

Sometimes the vendor uninstall utilities (clean-up/removal tools) do not always work completely or as intended. As such, you may need to reboot in safe mode, use Widnows Explorer and manually navigate to and remove any remaining files/folders just as the instructions provided by Avira Customer Service Engineer indicated.

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:44 PM

Hi, quietman7!

Yes, I am aware of the OP in Post #3 stating that he had only ran the Avira Registry Cleaner as a stand-alone tool which of course did not fully remove Avira Anti-Virus, but only partially (that is its registry entries).

I only provided the link to the Avira Registry Cleaner since the OP only posted the Avira Customer Service Engineer's detailed removal instructions in plain text, without including any download links to the Avira Registry Cleaner and two other separate articles with more information on how to start Windows 8 and Windows 10 in Safe Mode.

BTW, here are Avira's instructions on how to start Windows 8 in Safe Mode:

https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1386

And here are their instructions on how to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode:

https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1778

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 07 December 2018 - 12:37 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#13 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:06 PM

Dear Friends,

Hope all is well...

This Post was specific for the Windows 7 Forum.
So, I didn't not feel it required posting instructions for other OS.
If those instructions are followed to the word it will get rid of ALL the intended files, etc...
Sorry for any confusion/ inconvenience this may have caused anymore.
Have a blessed day ahead.
Sinceremente, Raphael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users