Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade to 10 ?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:35 PM

I would like to make my own archive of these as insurance for the future. Could you please tell me the best way to go about it

You're only dealing with a dozen or so updates, so one simple way would be to look up the description of each KB update, copy and paste the information into notepad and save with a name that is the same as the KB is named, only ending with a .txt. Then you'll have a list of updates with a description and information the 'you' consider important to retain directly underneath each file.

WindowsXP-KB958644-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB958644-x86-ENU.exe.txt

The contents of the WindowsXP-KB958644-x86-ENU.exe.txt file could be something like;

--------------- 8< ---------------

Version: 958644

File Name: WindowsXP-KB958644-x86-ENU.exe

Date Published: 10/22/2008

File Size: 634 KB

KB Articles: KB958644
Security bulletins: MS08-067

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your Microsoft Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Any additional notes you may want to make here.

--------------- 8< ---------------

The above took me about 20 seconds to copy and paste from MS web pages.

Another way would be to create a small spreadsheet, with similar information.

It all depends on what your ultimate end goals are.

Regards, Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:39 PM

A better procedure, IMO, would simply be making routine backups of the entire Windows partition...such can easily simply be retored in whole or in part...or referenced....whenever you want.

Takes away the need for a clean install, reinstallation of programs, reinstalling program, emials, etc...ever...since the backup can be restored to any new drive which may replace the current hard drive on which Windows is stored.

Louis

Great suggestion, especially given the vulnerability of XP these days and how easy it would be to have an installation ruined online with a single misclick.

Edited by achzone, 06 December 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#33 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

A better procedure, IMO, would simply be making routine backups of the entire Windows partition...such can easily simply be retored in whole or in part...or referenced....whenever you want.

Takes away the need for a clean install, reinstallation of programs, reinstalling program, emials, etc...ever...since the backup can be restored to any new drive which may replace the current hard drive on which Windows is stored.

Louis

Great suggestion, especially given the vulnerability of XP these days and how easy it would be to have an installation ruined online with a single misclick.

Agreed with both of you, but in light of "the vulnerability of XP these days" the best advice is to stop using it, period, for any purpose where connection to cyberspace is involved, and, ideally, not even that.

This is not "just spouting off my opinion."  No one with any concern for data security would consider, for a moment, using XP as a "daily driver" OS, and that's since long before "these days."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#34 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:17 PM

No one with any concern for data security would consider, for a moment, using XP as a "daily driver" OS, and that's since long before "these days."

No arguments here with regards to that point.

There are still valid uses for XP though, and sometimes even all the way back to Windows 3.x

(Fictional Scenario)

You have a client who prints custom T-Shirts. He spent tens of thousands of dollars on custom printing machinery and a custom software program to run it. The program coder has since died, the manufacturer of the machinery he owns has gone out of business. He wants to keep using his investments for as long as possible until the machinery dies, or he does. The software will *only* run on Windows XP - the source code is no longer available. He doesn't need Internet access on the controlling XP box.

Should this person now be faced with spending another half million or so because XP is out of support, or should he be able to continue profiting from his initial huge investment for as long as his expensive machinery stands up to the task?

That's just a quick one off the top of my head. I have *real* scenarios that I've dealt with in the past that are somewhat similar.

Yes, the best advice is to stop using XP - certainly while connected online. But there *are* valid reasons that some people may have that defy such advice. Those folks still deserve whatever help the IT community can afford them.

No?

Regards, Andrew

Edited by achzone, 06 December 2018 - 05:19 PM.

#35 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,896 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

Andrew,

Although your scenario is thorough, and entirely within the realm of actual probability, I don't know how what I said with, " but in light of "the vulnerability of XP these days" the best advice is to stop using it, period, for any purpose where connection to cyberspace is involved, and, ideally, not even that," is in any way in conflict with it.

It acknowledges there may be situations where XP's use is, for all practical intents and purposes, required, and when that's the case it should be completely divorced from connection to the internet.

Not using it, period, was mentioned as "ideally," and any one of us who's been in this business as long as the two of us have knows that there are plenty of non-ideal situations where bows to money, practicality, and other factors must be made.

The above being said, it cannot be repeated often enough and strongly enough that if you don't NEED to be running XP then you SHOULD NOT be running XP.  That's simply good advice and best practice.

Edited by britechguy, 06 December 2018 - 05:22 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#36 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:53 PM

Agreed Brian and I have a little confession to make.

My little made up scenario had more to do with being able to continue activating Windows XP after its end of support life than anything else.

Remember that short discussion? You cut me off by saying we would need to "agree to disagree", so I didn't feel I had an opportunity to respond to it at the time. Saw this as a perfect opening is all :)

Peace.   :thumbup2:

Andrew 

#37 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,896 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:47 PM

My little made up scenario had more to do with being able to continue activating Windows XP after its end of support life than anything else.

Remember that short discussion? You cut me off by saying we would need to "agree to disagree", so I didn't feel I had an opportunity to respond to it at the time. Saw this as a perfect opening is all :)

I still stick by what I said.   There are times when one simply must bite the bullet.  Nothing has eternal life, including computers, OSes, and software.

I don't expect that GM is currently supporting my 1989 Sedan de Ville (and they aren't) nor my 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon (and they aren't).  Products have a finite period of support by their OEMs.  What the aftermarket can and does do is an entirely separate matter.

~ Mark Twain

#38 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:38 PM

I still stick by what I said. 

I was in the process of composing what would have turned out to be quite a lengthy reply to this because I feel quite passionate about it - hence one of the reasons I wrote that "patch list" article in the first place.

But having taken a breath, I think I've come to realise that I'm not about to change your mind, just as you're not about to change mine, so the effort would be useless.

I'll just end this by saying that on this particular issue, we are and likely will forever be totally at odds in our opinions.

When something like an OS is purchased and paid for in good faith, it should be able to be activated for as long as the purchase contract allowed for at the time of the purchase. There was no time limit specified. Ergo, besides any obligation to provide further support having long expired, I still believe Microsoft has an obligation to fulfil their side of the purchase contract so long as they remain a viable and public company, continuing to enjoy their consumer generated profits. Just because something is old, never makes it useless in my view.

Regards, Andrew

Edited by achzone, 06 December 2018 - 08:43 PM.

#39 -Emily

-Emily

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:33 AM

Andrew

I completed building my own archive of these updates and it is looking pretty :)

Thank you

A better procedure, IMO, would simply be making routine backups of the entire Windows partition......................

Louis

Thank you, I make routine backups. My new update archive will provide a second line of defense against being forced to give up XP :thumbsup:

#40 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

You're very welcome Emily. Glad I was able to assist.

Regards, Andrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users