Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade to 10 ?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 cvbs1

cvbs1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:04 AM

Morning all,

I have an older hp pavillion xp that i had the opportunity to upgrade to windows 10 and it had worked very well to recently.  it has now slowed to a crall.  i want to try to reset it back however the windows license tag on the bottom of the computer has worn considerbly and i can not read all the numbers/letters.  Can i get this information anywhere else?  I do not have the original boxes that this came in as like i said it has been several years and has looooong since been tossed out.

tia,

cvbs

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2018 - 09:51 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 6sixty6

6sixty6

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:18 AM

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

:smilers:

🎅 🎄 🛷 🎁 ⛄

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:29 AM

Do you mean you want to revert the system to XP, or since it has always been happy to run Win 10, do a fresh Windows 10 installation?

No information will be required to re-install Windows 10, the activation profile for that machine will be found on the Microsoft activation servers and automatically re-instated.

If you want to go back to XP, which doesn't seem a very good idea, normally with an HP this would be re-installed from a service partition on the hard drive, and would be pre-activated.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:38 AM

you can re-install windows XP from an ISO file and then activate it by phone, so you dont need the key on the computer

Edited by mikey11, 01 December 2018 - 09:39 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,895 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:13 AM

you can re-install windows XP from an ISO file and then activate it by phone, so you dont need the key on the computer

Do you mean to tell me that Microsoft, which ended support for XP ages ago, still has an official "activation by phone" mechanism for it?

I find that almost impossible to believe.   If they do, then it's one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen made.  When support is dropped support should be dropped, period.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

Do you mean to tell me that Microsoft, which ended support for XP ages ago, still has an official "activation by phone" mechanism for it?

I find that almost impossible to believe.   If they do, then it's one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen made.  When support is dropped support should be dropped, period.

never tried with XP but i have done that with vista after it ended support, so i just assumed XP would also work.....but not positive

Edited by mikey11, 01 December 2018 - 10:28 AM.

#7 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:17 PM

If they do, then it's one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen made.  When support is dropped support should be dropped, period.

I'd have to totally disagree with that stance. I have 3 x full version (off the shelf) retail copies of Windows XP Pro that I purchase many years ago, at considerable expense at the time. There is nothing in the EULA that prevents me from using it well past its end of support life and I even used one of those copies to install to a Virtual Machine about a year or so ago for a variety of purposes. If I had no way of activating it, then I would be quite peeved.

If a vendor such as Microsoft chooses to protect their software through a means such as product activation, then they are bound to honour their side of the bargain and continue to provide activation facilities for whatever time period the licensing deal states. Activation is quite different to support.

One of the big selling points and the justification of cost when purchasing retail copies of Windows XP back in the day was that it could be installed and activated as many times you wanted, to as many different computers as you wanted, so long as it was only installed to one machine at a time. Nothing in the Licensing Agreement that I'm aware of that says in x number of years, I will no longer be able to activate my legally owned copies of Windows XP Pro.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,895 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:22 PM

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

When support is dropped for a product, and I mean any product, support should be dropped.  Software, any software, has a finite shelf life, and Windows OS versions in particular.  You cannot expect Microsoft to maintain an activation method for XP "in perpetuity" nor would any reasonable person expect that.  End of life means end of life, at least from a "you've got official support" perspective.

To each his own.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:37 PM

FWIW:  I did a clean install of XP, with SP3 included, a week ago...just as an experiment (I do such often enough).  I had no problem activating via network connection on boot.  I made no attempt to install any critical updates, although I believe some were installed after I had updated IE to IE 8.

Louis

#10 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:02 PM

I had no problem activating via network connection on boot.

Likewise Louis. Activation was as easy as always from my recollections.

I made no attempt to install any critical updates, although I believe some were installed after I had updated IE to IE 8.

I've kept a copy of all updates issued for XP and have them archived offline, right up until Microsoft stopped support so if you ever need them, let me know and I'll make them available online for you.

Regards, Andrew

Edited by achzone, 01 December 2018 - 10:03 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:24 AM

XP Security Updates are still available via Microsoft Update Catalog. Are Updates still available on a clean install via Windows Update?

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=xp+security+update

#12 -Emily

-Emily

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:37 AM

I had no problem activating via network connection on boot.

Likewise Louis. Activation was as easy as always from my recollections.

I made no attempt to install any critical updates, although I believe some were installed after I had updated IE to IE 8.

I've kept a copy of all updates issued for XP and have them archived offline, right up until Microsoft stopped support so if you ever need them, let me know and I'll make them available online for you.

Regards, Andrew

From your archive, is it possible to make these XP updates available to me?

Edited by -Emily, 02 December 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#13 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

Hi Emily,

From your archive, is it possible to make these XP updates available to me?

Sure, but I hesitate to post them on my website for general public download because I suspect Microsoft may not be terribly impressed if I did that and I don't like to poke a sleeping bear if I can avoid it <g> I might be able to make them available to you via a temporary shared dropbox folder if you like, but I'd suggest you PM me to arrange that. Note that I'll have to go digging through my backups though so unless you have a genuine need for them (as opposed to just wanting a copy) I'd rather not go to the trouble :)

Also, are you installing Windows XP 32-bit or 64-bit? The KB updates differ depending on those factors.

#14 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:34 PM

Emily,

Further to my last, you might find the following article I wrote back in June of 2017 to be useful. All links I posted in my article appear to still be valid and may be an easier way to grab what you need, directly from Microsoft rather than from me.

Security updates for Microsoft End of Life operating systems

Have fun :)

Regards, Andrew

#15 -Emily

-Emily

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your messages. I want to reinstall my XP Pro 32 bit. Thought it would be a good idea to have all the updates ready from your archive before doing that. I understand your concerns.

Regards

Edited by -Emily, 03 December 2018 - 12:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users