Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Recover Lost E-mail Address Book, Messages And 'favorites'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VANDERBILT

VANDERBILT

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

GURU'S help much needed... I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition on a one year old Gateway 825GM desktop computer running an Intel Pentium 4 Processor 550 at 3.4GHZ. E-mail & Internet along with everything else has been working fine for past year. Last week for the first time ever I began receiving failure to load notices during boot up of Windows. Over days these alerts grew in number to about five. They included amongst others 'runn.dll' failed to load, etc.
Since purchasing this computer I have had only the original 250GB hard drive installed (there is room for an additional two). Geek Squad did a full system test over several hours and confirmed as OK my mother board, processor, RAM and hard drive. They speculated that a Windows XP software issue was the problem. They suggested I either fully re-load the operating system which would require re-formatting the drive resulting in loss of all data or instead merely do a 'repair' installation which would not require re-formatting. They did the latter. On the same day I had Geek Squad install an additional new 750GB hard drive and install Windows XP Media Center Edition on it. Bios is set to read the operating system from only this new drive. At this time only the original 250GB and new 750GB hard drives are installed. Both are SATA drives from Seagate.
:thumbsup: System is now working fine again in terms of receiving e-mail (Outlook Express) and Microsoft Internet Explorer.... However, when reading drive two (the original 250GB hard drive) I cannot see any sent or received e-mails prior to the date the operating system crashed last week. Nor can I see my address books to any of my six e-mail accounts. I need my address books desperately along with all sent and received e-mails. Somewhere this information is still on the original 250GB hard drive. I would like to recover my e-mail address books along with all sent and received e-mails to each of my six accounts. Also, I need to recover my listings in 'favorites' and transfer this information along with my e-mail account information over to my new 750GB hard drive. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. If prefered you can e-mail me directly at *******

Moderator Edit~ email addy removed to protect the member from spambots.

Vanderbilt :flowers:

Edited by Pandy, 17 October 2006 - 11:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

sorry I am lost here, master drive is the new one with new xpsystem on it, slave drive is the old drive with your backed up data, what happened to that old system, did you wipe it
everyday is a gift

#3 VANDERBILT

VANDERBILT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

[font=Arial Narrow][size=7]

Thanks for your response and inquiry. My 250GB C drive is neither wiped nor re-formatted (OS was re-loaded on it via the repair option which apparently did not correct OS problem)). My new 750GB drive with Windows XP operating system installed on it via the Windows XP OS DVD is running OK. It is in the 0 position as the new replacement C drive. The original C drive (250GB) has been shifted to the 1 position. Still installed on the 250GB drive is the original Windows XP (flawed) operating system. Both OS's are Windows XP Media Center Edition. Bios is set to boot Windows XP from only the current C drive which comprises the 750GB 0 position drive.
When I disconnect the 750GB C drive my system proceeds to load Windows XP from the 250GB drive in position 1. Because the OS is somehow still corrupted or flawed in this drive (even though it was previous re-installed via the repair option) I cannot get any of my six e-mail accounts to come up. All files on this drive do otherwise come up normally. When I re-connect the 750GB drive all six e-mail accounts display received and sent e-mails normally... however, only from last week to the present (prior years worth of sent & received e-mails missing).... Each of my six e-mail account address books no longer has any contact names or addresses. Same applies to 'favorites' (totally blank) when on Internet Explorer. I was and am using Outlook Express. OS system does include all Windows updates including service pack II.

I need to recover the contents of my six e-mail address books along with sent and received e-mails for the past year to each of my six accounts (in addition to 'favorites' in Internet Explorer). This information should be somewhere on the 250GB former C drive since it was not re-formatted when the OS was reloaded via the repair option. Any ideas??? Thanks.... :thumbsup:

John

Edited by VANDERBILT, 17 October 2006 - 03:55 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

Well, it looks like there is a bright side to the Geek Squad after all! :thumbsup: BUT....

Did they import your saved stuff from the old drive - or did they just install XP on the new drive and leave you hanging?

Be careful with importing the stuff now (since you've got 2 weeks of stuff stored in another place.

OE has an option to change the "Store" directory which will also let you know what the current directory is (Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, Store folder button). On my system it's: C:\Documents and Settings\FUBAR\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{9C5B8D5D-7F57-4904-9821-39F113A57F21}\Microsoft\Outlook Express (FUBAR is my user name and the long string of numbers may change on you.)

So, check this location on your system and see what sort of folders are in it (mine are empty because I don't use OE). Then go to the old drive and navigate to the same location on that drive. There will be your old emails etc. BUT!!! First thing to do is to copy them to a CD - I've lost mine in the past, so it's important to make sure that you save them (and the one's on the new hard drive also!).

Here's a link or two that may help:
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_my_outloo...ew_machine.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

As for your favorites, they're stored in your user profile. Mine are here: C:\Documents and Settings\FUBAR\Favorites

So, here's a link to help recover your favorites: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1879861,00.asp
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 VANDERBILT

VANDERBILT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for your input. I did go to the 250GB former C drive (now in position 1 as the G drive) and followed your advice. The files did appear as your suggested... however each comprises a dbx file which when I attempt to open any I get an announcement that "Microsoft cannot open this file....". I assume one of the displayed sequences of numbers with letters possibly corresponds to the address book and its contents??? Putting the arrow on any dbx file indicates it contains many MB of information.
Do you know how I can open and view the contents of each .dbx file?? Once opened I will follow your sound advice by making a CD of each. Thanks for your assistance.... :thumbsup:

John

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

First make the CD, as I said before - I lost these files when I was monkeying around with them a while ago (it's why I switched away from OE). Protect your data!!!

You don't have to open them - just locate them (yes, the .dbx is the correct format). They are stored in a database format so that OE can look at them.

Just use the first link that I gave you (the Ask Leo one). The second link gives you the Microsoft way to do it (which tends to be a bit complex).

Then follow the 3rd link for your favorites.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users