Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Security Tools and Questions

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:12 PM

Puppy's Philosophy: FEAR NOT ROOT!

Yes!!!!

(Which leads to another worthwhile blog post, by IgnorantGuru:-)

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/fear-not-root/

The Puppy community are not the only ones who question the obsession that the Linux community in general seems to have with this issue. Some of them are, in fact, long-term Linux users, who believe that the entire mind-set has been fostered by the Linux developer community...in particular the major distribution releasers, like RedHat, OpenSuse, Canonical (to name but a few).

The issue is really down to the individual. What do you, personally, believe to be the case? Do you form your own views on this matter.....or do you accept, wholesale, the mutterings of other people, and blindly accept what you're spoon-fed?

(*shrug*)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 December 2018 - 05:17 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

Linux is just a kernel. Puppy is based on the Linux kernel but isn't multi-user and strives to have everything as a gui. Nothing like the Unix philosophy. As such the Unix security model is irrelevant, as are the protections. That blog article again is way off. Consider for instance a simple case of making a file executable only for others, no read nor write. Without privilege separation even such a trivial option is impossible. Using a simple table with comparable permissions being apparent for both root and user as in that blog (and in Fatdogs FAQ) is contrived ... as most of those user permissions can be turned off if so desired/needed under a privilege separated system.

OpenBSD (-current)

#48 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:49 PM

Puppy's Philosophy: FEAR NOT ROOT!

Yes!!!!

(Which leads to another worthwhile blog post, by IgnorantGuru:-)

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/fear-not-root/

The Puppy community are not the only ones who question the obsession that the Linux community in general seems to have with this issue. Some of them are, in fact, long-term Linux users, who believe that the entire mind-set has been fostered by the Linux developer community...in particular the major distribution releasers, like RedHat, OpenSuse, Canonical (to name but a few).

The issue is really down to the individual. What do you, personally, believe to be the case? Do you form your own views on this matter.....or do you accept, wholesale, the mutterings of other people, and blindly accept what you're spoon-fed?

(*shrug*)

Mike.  :wink:

I'm a Puppy user and I've never been compromised using it.

OH and by the way I think for myself and make my own decisions.

And security is totally up to the user who is the weakest point imo.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#49 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:27 AM

""And security is totally up to the user who is the weakest point imo.""...@  The-Toolman

aWZkM0E.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#50 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:59 AM

I'm a Puppy user and I've never been compromised using it.

OH and by the way I think for myself and make my own decisions.

And security is totally up to the user who is the weakest point imo.

All types. Some live in areas where they go out and leave windows/doors open/unlocked and encounter no problems. Others who have been burgled or had their identity stolen find that to be life changing. Identity theft in particular can be extremely devastating, in and out of court for a decade or more, repeatedly attempting to waiver claims made against them for something they never did.

Yes security is a process not a product.

OpenBSD (-current)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users