Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Advice on Purchasing New PCs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Pythoneer

Pythoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:20 AM

Hi all.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I have decided to go for the HP ProBook laptop mentioned earlier. 

Now I am concerned with the external optical disk drive.

Any suggestions or advice on purchasing a good optical disk drive?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:41 AM

I have yet to have an issue with any external optical drive (and that's unsurprising given how often I use the one I have).

Mine is LiteOn (and I have no idea if they're still making them).

Unless you anticipate heavy use I really would not concern myself too much with "quality."  These are so cheap and ubiquitous as to be disposable, though that need has seldom arisen in my experience and observation.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#18 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,361 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:13 AM

Indeed i got a external drive here, a LG for my rig which has no optical bays in the case.

I can safely say it works well enough, if you have USB3 capability (and most modern machines do including HP and dells) then you have no problems as USB3 is fast enough to keep up with external drives.

Here is one simular to my model:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Portable-External-GP65NB60/dp/B00ODDE33U/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544112891&sr=1-2&keywords=external%2Bdvd%2Bdrive&refinements=p_89%3ALG&th=1

This is a USB2 model but that doesnt matter as USB2 is also fine for such drives

USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2 so there should be no issues there either.

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 December 2018 - 11:49 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#19 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:45 PM

Just a ditto on the above suggestions. It really won't matter what brand you go for given the price of these things. If you're concerned about protecting your investment, seek out an offer that includes a 3-year replaceable warranty or similar, though, given the low cost of these units, I think you'll be struggling to find that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users