Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC Build Advice

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:54 PM

Hello Everyone,

I wish to build a new pc for my work place. My work involves working with general products such as MS Office, PDF Readers, Browsing a lot. I also do development using Visual Studio 2010. Plus since I am into stock market research my task involves scanning data etc.

My current pc build is:

- i5 3470

- 8 GB DDR3

- 125 GB SSD (OCZ-AGILITY 3)

- Gigabyte B75M-D3H

- 24" Monitor

- Standard PSU

- Inbuild graphics

- Windows 10

Since its for my work I do not want to buy an external graphics card. The mother board inbuild graphics should do. My monitor is also fine and I do not wish to replace it. Rest of the components has to be replaced.

Please suggest me what should I go for. My budget is around $800. Since I won't be doing gaming suggest me a build which will do justice to my work. It should not be less powered or not an overkill.

Thank you,

Regards,

GR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:35 PM

I understood you can build computer yourself from parts, correct? And you are buying from US?

#3 nooneuknow

nooneuknow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:53 AM

A good site to aid in picking matching components that fit a project criteria  "pc part  picker"   you dogpile search with quotes it will give you link, or just remove spaces and add com

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:58 PM

I would not build a new system...to do what you do on a computer system.  The specs for what you have can easily nanled such and a newer system will not necessarily improve on the present, IMO.

If I changed anything, it would only be to increase the RAM, although I believe 8GB is more than adequate.

Louis

#5 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:08 AM

I want to upgrade as I wish to have a faster system. I live outside the US.

I was thinking for:

i5-8600

GSkill 16GB RAM

Samsung 860 Evo SATA III SSD

Motherboard: can you recommend me one?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:02 AM

FWIW.

I live in the U.S.A. and I generally try not to tell other persons...how to spend their money, particularly so if they live outside the U.S.  There are other members here who have no problem with providing such suggestions...please await input from them.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2018 - 08:06 AM.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:49 PM

I was thinking for:

i5-8600

GSkill 16GB RAM

I don't see much sense in those. But to give you exact recommendations, telling where you live helps a lot since prices and availability varies a lot. If you are worried about privacy, knowing country is more than enough.

#8 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:22 AM

I was thinking for:

i5-8600

GSkill 16GB RAM

I don't see much sense in those. But to give you exact recommendations, telling where you live helps a lot since prices and availability varies a lot. If you are worried about privacy, knowing country is more than enough.

I am from India. What do you mean I don't see much sense in those?

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:04 AM

Pricing is not universal so in India some parts may be highly overpriced (and some may be very cheap) compared to global pricing.

Some people are so concerned about privacy that they don't want to tell where they live, not even country.

It seems India prices are somewhat same as in US/Europe. So I would take following. Shop is https://www.primeabgb.com and price is around $800:

2hoFCLL.png

#10 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:58 AM

Thank you for sharing the website name. I wanted to tell you a few things:

- I want to go with intel processor as I hate AMD. Now I won't discuss why I detest AMD.

My components would be like :

> Intel i5-8600 CPU

> Please suggest me a suitable Motherboard

> 16 GB RAM (Suggest me a RAM)

> Samsung 860 EVO SATA III SSD 500 GB

> CORSAIR CX Series CX450 450W

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

Motherboard could be basic one like https://www.primeabgb.com/online-price-reviews-india/gigabyte-h310m-ds2-ultra-durable-motherboard/

Memory could be same as above.

Video card is no needed.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 06 December 2018 - 03:42 PM.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:36 PM

- I want to go with intel processor as I hate AMD. Now I won't discuss why I detest AMD.

> Intel i5-8600 CPU

Yes but Intel has spectre and meltdown, plus now AMD processors have a lot of bang for your buck with Ryzen

Plus with Ryzen you dont need a high priced CPU or motherboard to get overclocking.(plus it saves money for a decent GPU instead of being stuck with intel integrated graphics)

And your desired i5 8600 really doesnt have the guts compared to its AMD counterpart so yes its time to reconsider AMD no matter how much you hate them.

Yes intel has some edge but we are talking about a locked processor here when overclocked we can achieve some good performance with Ryzen

And note even if you are not wowed by benchmarks its still a bit of a good ideas with AMD, spectre and metdown hit intgel hard and sometimes performance did lose out on them with the patches you need.

Best to give AMD another try methinks, I know the last generation of AMD was a letdown but Ryzen is indeed a brand new kind of processor that has a lot of kick and potential to improve.

Now if you dont need a GPU the Ryzen series does have the Ryzen 5 2400G has inbuilt graphics and is actually very good for a integrated graphics

You said you wanted options and intel and AMD are it.

If you go with intel thats fine I wont stop you as its your money but you could have done better for your dollar and saved some cash on some gaming parts if you want them or a new windows license at least.

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 December 2018 - 11:51 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#13 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:25 AM

​

Motherboard could be basic one like https://www.primeabgb.com/online-price-reviews-india/gigabyte-h310m-ds2-ultra-durable-motherboard/

Video card is no needed.

The motherboard you have specified does not have HDMI port. I am instead thinking of Gigabyte H310M-H Motherboard. This series is half the price of a H370 Pro or Z series board. Earlier I was thinking of ASRock H370M Pro4 but its pricy in my country. Do you think it will make a significant performance difference if I go for the gigabyte one. 

Plus this board support max memory speed of 2666 MHZ. In case my RAM supports higher but has to work at 2666 mhz then hope it won't be a problem.

#14 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:54 AM

> Intel i5-8600 CPU

Yes but Intel has spectre and meltdown, plus now AMD processors have a lot of bang for your buck with Ryzen

Plus with Ryzen you dont need a high priced CPU or motherboard to get overclocking.(plus it saves money for a decent GPU instead of being stuck with intel integrated graphics)

And your desired i5 8600 really doesnt have the guts compared to its AMD counterpart so yes its time to reconsider AMD no matter how much you hate them.

Yes intel has some edge but we are talking about a locked processor here when overclocked we can achieve some good performance with Ryzen

And note even if you are not wowed by benchmarks its still a bit of a good ideas with AMD, spectre and metdown hit intgel hard and sometimes performance did lose out on them with the patches you need.

Best to give AMD another try methinks, I know the last generation of AMD was a letdown but Ryzen is indeed a brand new kind of processor that has a lot of kick and potential to improve.

Now if you dont need a GPU the Ryzen series does have the Ryzen 5 2400G has inbuilt graphics and is actually very good for a integrated graphics

You said you wanted options and intel and AMD are it.

If you go with intel thats fine I wont stop you as its your money but you could have done better for your dollar and saved some cash on some gaming parts if you want them or a new windows license at least.

Thank you for your support and explanations. I really appreciate it.

You maybe correct but this is my last build for a long time and I just wish to stick with Intel. You can say that I am a little fixated guy who goes more with brand reliability/performance compared to a brand which has just started to do well. But If I ever need an additional system I will try AMD. :) 

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:15 AM

​

Video card is no needed.

The motherboard you have specified does not have HDMI port. I am instead thinking of Gigabyte H310M-H Motherboard. This series is half the price of a H370 Pro or Z series board. Earlier I was thinking of ASRock H370M Pro4 but its pricy in my country. Do you think it will make a significant performance difference if I go for the gigabyte one. 

Plus this board support max memory speed of 2666 MHZ. In case my RAM supports higher but has to work at 2666 mhz then hope it won't be a problem.

That Gigabyte is OK too.

I chose that memory because it was cheapest available, even cheaper than 2400 MHz memory. And yes it will work 2666 as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users