Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quicktime

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigbyte

bigbyte

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

I am not entirely sure if this is the correct place for this topic but here goes.
I have been told that qttask.exe is considered to be an optional removal item from HJT logs I have searched the board and cant find an explanation for this. What is the issue that places it in optional. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:52 AM

It is a Tray Icon that enables you to start QuickTime from the System Tray.
Have a read thru our StartUp List on QuickTime Task.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 bigbyte

bigbyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the help TMacK.
So just to clear this up for me completely, If i dont want it to run at start up I would Check it in HJT and fix which would only remove it from the start up items, and it cold be started when required from programs.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,507 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Personally, I prefer controlling whether a program loads at startup or not by selecting that option in the program itself. In this case, Quick Time can be stopped from loading by choosing not to allow it to search for updates everytime you turn the computer on. Most if not all legitimate programs can be controlled from loading at startup from within the program. Doing this might save you from a problem later on when trying to figure out which program or tool you used to control the startups. Just my two cents.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

I have never used HJT bigbyte,but either way I would think you could you can run it only when you need to.
Perhaps someone that has experience with this program will post further.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:32 AM

You post a HJT log if you suspect that your computer has a malware infection.
It is not for the purpose of managing startup entries.
Unless you are expert at writing to the registry and making changes or alterations it is suggested that you NEVER TRY TO USE THE HIJACK THIS PROGRAM BY YOURSELF!
An error while using it can render your op system irreparable and can require a complete reinstallation of Windows.
We suggest that you take advantage of getting step by step assistance from one of oyr HJT experts.

I suggest Startup Inspector to manage your startup menu or use the settings in the particular ap itself (if applicable) because it is easier to determine what application is connected to a particular startup entry using Startup Inspector than it is using msconfig, the Windows utility sometimes used for the same purpose.

Whichever you use, be careful not to disable your firewall, your resident anti-virus application, any anti-malware aps you have installed that provide real time protection and of course, any essential Windows aps or processes.

Startup Inspector – freeware (manages startup menu – helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 October 2006 - 06:40 AM.

#7 bigbyte

bigbyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the information everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users