Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not intialize a new SSD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wzfoto

wzfoto

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:33 PM

Recently bought a new samsung 1tb ssd to replace a hd inside a laptop.  I put the ssd on an external enclosure, connect to the laptop via usb, open up windows 10 disk manager (diskmgmt.msc), tried to intiailze it.  When I choose MBR, the system returns an error 'device not ready', when I choose GPT, system says the size of the drive does not meet the min required.  What am I doing wrong?  Drive is brand new from amazon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:33 PM

All you need to do is use the Samsung transfer disk, makes very light work of cloning your existing disc.  I have done at least 6-8 now all super easy!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 wzfoto

wzfoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:26 PM

The disk is brand new, and it needs to be initialized before using any data migration tool.  The Samsung transfer disk or other data migration tool won't even recognize the disk is there. The problem is that the disk wont initialize.  I tried it on 2 different computers and its the same problem.  Trying to figure out if it is the ssd problem or the usb cable. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:40 PM

If this is a modern computer with UEFI firmware and you wish to replace the hard drive then the disk needs to be initialized as GPT. From my experience cloning software can be done without the need to first initialize the disk.

Download Partition Wizard.

Select the disk and select Initialize GPT. Click Apply.Does that work? If you see any partitions on the disk in Partition Wizard, and there should be none, Delete all Partitions, then Initialize GPT.

All steps in Partition Wizard is Virtual and Apply needs to be clicked in order for the steps to complete. 

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:36 PM

Like I said I have done 6-8 never ever initialized just used the Makers disc!

#6 wzfoto

wzfoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:46 PM

I tried partition wizard.  The options to initialize the SDD are all grey out.  The screen indicates the SSD is 0mb, when it should be 1tb.  I tried to copy to this SDD but received an error the disk is too small.  Wonder if this is a bad SSd? It is brand new from amazon.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:27 AM

Laptop manufacturer and model?

I don't have any GPT/UEFI systems...I do not format before installing Windows because Windows will format as part of the installation process.  There is no need to initialize when I use cloning/backup software to duplicate the Windows install on the new SSD.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2018 - 04:29 AM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:15 AM

Read thye directions, Install the data migration software that came with the disc and go about your merry way, quit trying stuff the migration software will do the job seamlessly!

#9 wzfoto

wzfoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

It is a samsung evo 860 1tb ssd.  I tried samsung's data migration software. It won't even recognize there is a drive.  On windows disk manager, at least it sees the drive, but it keep saying its not initialized with 0mb of space.  I also tried partition wizard and partition magic, none of them work.  I m treating this as a defective drive.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:57 PM

If you are placing the SSD in a USB enclosure it's possible the enclosure itself is defective. What is the OS you are installing? If you have the install disk then replace the HDD with the SSD and see how Windows installs.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:41 PM

The SSD does not show in management out of the box, once it has the cloned info it works fine.  You may have screwed the pooch, I hope not.  Question is have you actually tried to follow the directions provided, it really does pay to read before you leap!

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

You said "I put the ssd on an external enclosure, connect to the laptop via usb" and I think that is your problem.  If the enclosure works with another laptop drive, you need to exchange the SSD as it is defective.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:11 PM

IMO I think the OP may have messed up not loading Data Migration and following the steps, frankly he should give it a try as directed if it does not work then go on the Samsung forum for a possible fix.

#14 wzfoto

wzfoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:49 PM

I bought another drive (intel) and was able to set it up without any issues.  The first drive (samsung) has been returned back to the seller.

Edited by wzfoto, 06 December 2018 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users