Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Shredder

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hellrazor

Hellrazor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

Need an advice (watch topic).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mvs

mvs

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:44 AM

^ Spybot S&D has a secure shredder .
you can use it . And there are many
freewares for this shredding purpose ...
Lets Quote Only the relevant parts of Previous Posts

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

I use Eraser.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

Eraser is my choice, as well.
John

I should add that you can choose to overwrite a file or section of your hard drive up to 36 times with random data. For all practical purposes, this makes it almost impossible to retrieve or to restore.
John

Edited by jgweed, 17 October 2006 - 05:16 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Hellrazor

Hellrazor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

Thanks!
Do you know anythin' about Shred Agent? One guy told me that it's better than Eraser and some other (don't remember difficult names)... Maybe somebody is using it?

#6 mvs

mvs

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

^ why go for a shareware ; best freewares
are available for this file shredding purpose ...
Lets Quote Only the relevant parts of Previous Posts

#7 Hellrazor

Hellrazor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

I don't know. Sometimes sharewares costs not too much, but are more useful...

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

Secure shredding of files is very chancy. If the bad guys have a better program, they'll be able to recover the data.

The best method that I've found is to keep the hard drive. A new drive doesn't cost all that much, and it's worth the peace of mind that it offers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:06 PM

I also use "Eraser" as it is suitable for the average person's needs.

Unless one has very sensitive information on the HD as a Doctor, Lawyer, or ? might have, Eraser will adequately fill your needs.

BTW - a tech friend of mine uses an acetylene torch to melt those HD's of persons that are really concerned with complete destruction. He gives them the melted blob of metal and plastic back as a paper weight.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,696 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:25 AM

Add teachers, school administrators, and researchers in many different fields. Also people in the financial field. There is a lot of personal and sensitive information gathered in many kinds of research and by teachers and administrators. If that information is recoverable and subsequently recovered, teachers etc. can get in a LOT of trouble. I really don't like the idea of melting the computer every time I have to get rid of sensitive information. Also, What if a computer hacker gets on my computer? What if some infection gets on it that hacks into it? I don't like to take that chance, so I personally use a program by Cyberscrub to get rid of that stuff. Downside, it ain't free. Upside, you don't have to keep renewing the license. There are other programs. Investigate the various programs, read reviews by reputable publications, and go with what you feel comfortable with and that you need for security and legal reasons.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users