Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Zip

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Walter_J1

Walter_J1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:35 AM

After running all the steps to get rid of VirusBurst I tried to run HighJack This and when I tried to run Win Zip I got this error. WinZip Self-Extractor header corrupt. Possible cause: bad disc or file transfer error

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:51 AM

Have you tried downloading another version of HijackThis?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Walter_J1

Walter_J1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:46 AM

Yes, I uninstalled and re-installed HiJackThis several times and I keep getting the same error message.
I currently rerunning the whole spyware removal steps again.

#4 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:17 AM

Not sure if You downloaded this or using XP zip

Why am I suddenly getting "header corrupt" messages when I run self-extractors?

Frequently, the problem with corrupted self-extractors (and corrupted .zip files, as well) is that an error has been introduced into the file during download (e.g., by phone line noise). Normally, downloading the file again resolves the problem. If, however, repeated attempts to download the file do not result in a good copy, your computer may be infected by a virus.

An executable file can become infected with a virus such as CIH in at least three ways:

Your computer is itself actively infected, and when you copied the executable to your computer (e.g., via download or from a floppy disk), or otherwise processed it, the executable became infected with the virus.
The person who created the executable (i.e., the self-extractor) did so on a computer where the virus was active, so that the original copy of the self-extractor was infected.
The executable passed through an infected computer on its journey from the original source computer to your computer.
The symptoms of virus infection can vary. Sometimes, there is no visible symptom at all until the virus destroys enough data on your computer that the computer no longer functions properly. With self-extractors created using WinZip Self-Extractor, the "corrupt header" message occurs in many cases when these self-extractors are run on computers infected with CIH. (This may serve as a kind of "early warning" that your computer is infected.

Have a Good Day :thumbsup:

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:23 AM

Try clearing your internet temp files and try downloading it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users