Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Floppy Disk Drive Wont Read Floppy Disks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vanilla_girl1984

vanilla_girl1984

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:33 AM

i have installed a different 3 1/2 floppy drive and it dosent read the floppy disks
it just says please insert floppy disk when i try to acess the info of the floppy disk
i am running windows xp pro
what can i do to fix the problem
please help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:53 AM

If you can see FDD icon it means that FDD is recognized by your OS, it means that this is not driver problem. IMHO your floppy is broken.But you can try to install drivers or run installation wizard in "start>>control panel>> add hardware" just in case I'm not right, hope I'm not.

#3 Andersson

Andersson

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

It could also be that the IDE cable is loose

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

Most common problem is that the IDE ribbon has been placed on backwards. Same thing happened to me - does your floppy drive light come on as soon as the power to the PC is turned on? Also, does the floppy drive click to access the floppy disk as soon as you put it in (the same noise as when you press A:\ in the explorer)? If so it is your ribbon....

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:29 PM

Just my 2 cents, but I've found that XP doesn't like floppy drives for some reason or the other. I've tried several and haven't been able to get them to work.

Then I stumbled upon a USB floppy drive and it solved all my problems!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 vanilla_girl1984

vanilla_girl1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

hey thanks for that every1 will let you know what i have tried and what worked

#7 vanilla_girl1984

vanilla_girl1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:35 PM

well firstly thanks for all the suggestions
the problem turned out to be the floppy drive was broken the bits at the back were all bent out of shape no biggie thats all sorted now :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users