Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Log Analysis for home search virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mao

mao

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:57 PM

I have been following the instructions for removing the home search assistant virus at:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/3341/how-to-remove-home-search-assistant-cws-ns3-backdoor-bdd/

I cannot find any 04 entries that resemble what the web site is talking about. Also, when i tried to save the new shell.dll file to the Windows\ system folder, Windows told me that I couldn't paste the file because it was already being used by windows.

What have I done wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daisuke

Daisuke

Cleaner on Duty

• Members
  • 5,575 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:25 AM

Hi

Download the latest version of HijackThis!: Download here HJT 1.99. Save it on your Desktop. You will need now to unzip hijackthis.exe to a permanent folder, such as c:\hjt . This has to be done as HijackThis creates backups. You may need to use these backups.

First create a new folder:
A. Click My Computer icon on your desktop
B. Click C: drive
C. Click the File menu --> New --> Folder, a folder "New folder" will be created.
D. Rename it HJT

Unzip hijackthis.exe to the c:\HJT folder.

Run HijackThis.exe Press the Scan button, then Save Log.
Notepad will open.

In Notepad click
Edit menu --> Select All
then
Edit menu --> Copy

When responding to a post from one of our HJT Team members, please reply in the same topic - click the Add Reply button. Do not create a new topic for your reply. This will cause confusion and only cause a delay in the help you are receiving.

Right click in the message area and click on the paste option to paste the log into the post.
Everyday is virus day. Do you know where your recovery CDs are ?
Did you create them yet ?

Posted Image

#3 mao

mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. I kept trying yesterday after I posted the request for help and I think I've got it fixed. I've been on the internet several times since yesterday and have had no problems.

I would like to thank you all for this service. Its nice to see that there are good people on the internet also.

Thanks again

#4 Daisuke

Daisuke

Cleaner on Duty

• Members
  • 5,575 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:56 AM

You're welcome !
Everyday is virus day. Do you know where your recovery CDs are ?
Did you create them yet ?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users