Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm getting errors with dll files that are in the right place

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PinkRei

PinkRei

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:56 PM

I've been trying to set up windows 98 for about 6 hours now and I cannot find any information or resources to even so much as identify this problem, let alone solve it.

I am using virtualbox 5.2 and my host os is windows 10. I'm not trying to do anything other than run the windows 98 installation cd. The setup process itself runs without problems, but when I try to actually boot to the desktop for the first time, I get "the SHELL32.DLL file is linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL:tFileAttributesA.", followed by "explorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". Looking at the details of the illegal operation, I see "EXPLORER caused an exception 6d007eH". I googled these and found that the explorer error is caused when the os is missing something called ole32.dll, and that I should copy an uncorrupted version of this dll from my installation disc. Well, the problem with that is my installation disc is where the files came from. It is literally impossible for me to have edited any of these files because I can't even get to the desktop. This is the case for shell32, shlwapi, ole32, and any other referenced dll file in the errors. These files are all in the correct place because they literally came directly from the installation media and have not been touched or altered in any way.

I even tried using a premade vhd rather than installing the os myself, and got the exact same error. So it doesn't matter how I install the os, for some reason as soon as I try to actually run it I get these errors.

Please for the love of god can someone, if nothing else, just tell me what is even CAUSING these errors? I am seriously at the end of my rope.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PinkRei

PinkRei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:21 AM

I fixed it (after about 6 hours of wasted effort), but I couldn't tell you why the solution was what it was. Disabling hardware virtualization in virtualbox's settings eliminated the problems. Unfortunately, it also tanked the vm's performance. But at least that's something I can mess around with and fix.

Edited by PinkRei, 24 November 2018 - 01:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users