Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headphone jack not connecting correctly?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Comanch09

Comanch09

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:27 PM

One day my headphone jack was working correctly, and now it's not connecting correctly. I can still hear some sound when the headphones in, but its either quiet, only in one speaker, or anything but correct. I look at the jack and it seems to be bent or looks different. Also, the headphones don't go into it like they used to. Is there any way to fix this problem, or will I have to get a new headphone jack, or sound card? I also have two disk players, ones a DVD Player, and ones a CD/Burner. Both have jacks in them, but I cant get any sound to come out of those. Also, my computer is a dell, Dimension 4550. So, is there any way I can fix the headphones jack, do something to the headphones, like put something on the metal part, to make them connect correctly, or a way to configure my computer to use the jacks in the disk players? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:52 PM

First welcome to BC!

Ok the reason you dont get sound out of those drives headphone ports is because thety each have a wire that will run down to your sound card from that port. If you sound card does not have those hookups then Dell or you didnt or wasnt able to add the wires.

If its bent then you could be out of luck. Do you have the standard 3 port sond card? If so go to walmart and get a headphone Y connector and put it in the sound out port that goes to your speakers. The the other plug can be used for your headphones.

At best a sound card will not cost much if you do nead to replace it.

Also please try to use another set of headphones and see if that helps...

#3 Comanch09

Comanch09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:24 PM

First, I've tried with other headphones, and it still did the same thing. My guess is I'll probably have to get a new card. The only thing is, this is different from what connects to the speakers to the computer. I'll take it out, and see if I can fix it, and if not, I will probably just get a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users