Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Load.... "error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lori anne

Lori anne

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:39 PM

i installed a new cd-rom dvd writer on my inlaws computer. I had done it before and had no problems. this time after i plug everything in and turn on the computer i check to see if it recognizes it in the BIOS. All is good. then i exit setup and i recieved the message........'error loading operatin system' ...What did i do

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:11 AM

welcome to bleeps
questions:
- what type computer
- what os, pro or home
- how old is it

ideas
- how are the jumpers on the drive set
everyday is a gift

#3 Lori anne

Lori anne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

it is my inlaws computer
it is a rebuilt computer
and it is pro edition
the jumpers?...... in the ide secondary plug..........and set to master? is that what you want to know?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:37 PM

Unhook the drive that you installed (both the power and IDE cable) and then reboot the system. Does it work normally again?

If so, then it's either the cable, the drive, or the drivers. If not, then something may have been fried while you were inside of the case.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:05 AM

The jumpers must be set to master if it is attached to the end of the IDE cable and to slave if it is attached to the middle connection.

If it is the only optical device use the connection at the end of the cable and set it to master.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users