Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My First Pc Build. Suggestions Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DaChamp486

DaChamp486

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:09 PM

Hello all, I came accross this forum while I was making my wish list on newegg and thought I'd stop by in here and see if anyone would be willing to offer me any suggestions on the build below. This is just a tower build with a price range of about $2000. I haven't had the time to double check everything for compatibility issues and such with school and all, so I am sure there are problems in this somewhere. I will also be investing in a soundcard, another video card for the sli feature, and maybe liquid cooling once I fall into a little more cash, but this is the build for now:
  • NZXT LEXA ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • NZXT LEXA ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • Intel Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
  • SAPPHIRE 100168L Radeon X1900XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Video Card Or BFG Tech BFGR79256GTOCE Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
  • OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6700
  • CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
  • Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
  • SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s
  • SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model SH-S182D
  • Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B 1 Pack
  • ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:37 AM

Sounds like you are a gamer - do you have your logitech mouse yet? Essential stuff....
Not an expert, but there may be dramas with the crossfire or SLI compatibility. SLI and Crossfire will usually only work on certain MBs. Check the ATI and nVidia websites for a list of certified models. At this point I think the nVidia one is out of date, so it may pay to fire them an email to check compatibility.
Depending on the space in your case, you may need to look at a/m cooling for your video card(s). The newer x1950 has that sorted, but I know my x800 (yeah, I know, on the low end) was worthless before the artic cool cooler - and thats without OCing...
Also, check the Ampage on your 12V rails... The video card websites should indicate how much they need on a 12V rail. I think 18Amps on each would be Okay, but check just in case...
Also, with the SATA drive, you may want to get your hands on a SATA II (ATA300) which is a bit quicker. Although that one is 10000rpm, I'm not sure if the difference in negligable or not...
Hope that actually helps! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

Here's a link to a recent review of your mobo and 3 others: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/11/fou...for_core_2_duo/

The DFI Infinity offering isn't reviewed here, but it's comparable to the MSI board (from another review).

Interestingly, if you plan on using SLI, the 975x chipset only supports the ATI Crossfire. You'll need an nForce 590 SLI chipset in order to support nVidia cards in SLI (and none were reviewed in the above review)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:08 PM

That looks like a nice rig to me, the new conroe's by Intel have great reviews and are finally back on par (or better) then AMD.
The WD raptor is a great HD too, but i would spend my money wiser and get 2x sata 3gb drives and run them in a raid array...............i've just bought 2 myself and my system has a new lease of life (i done a fresh install of Windows XP in 8 minutes!!).

As for the ATI V's Nvidia, I have to say that i'm Nvidia all the way after having alot of issues with the ATI drivers, thats not to say that ATI havn't got their act togther now, just a personal preference.

The Corsair RAM is nice but i think your paying for the name, have a look on www.newegg.com at some of the other brands and check the reviews left by previous buyers.

Happy gaming,

Chief

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:05 PM

Good quality RAM gives you room to overclock. But if you're not overclocking, you're spending all that money for nothing. Most RAM comes with a guarantee - even if it's not Corsair. FWIW - I prefer http://www.crucial.com for my RAM for these reasons:
1) Their memory configurator
2) Their guarantee
3) Their awesome service! (they replaced RAM that hadn't been delivered before the UPS investigation was finished).

I'm an nVidia fan also (bit time problems with ATI in the past) - and you can run nVidia cards on the 975x chipset. You just can't run them in SLI.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DaChamp486

DaChamp486
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

Awesome, i appreciate the response all. I'm still not set on a video card and will do a little bit more research on the card I want before i order my mobo. I myself have had problems with ATI but they were due to a lack of knowledge on my part, not enough power running through my PSU and I fried my old Radeon 9800 Pro :thumbsup:. Once again i appreciate the response.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

My ATI problems were with their software and some All-In-Wonder cards. I never had a driver problem.

My last one was a TVWonder VE that I kept working on for months (my pet theory is that it was p*ssed because I had a nVidia video card also). Then we had a lightning strike through our cable - and the card really went crazy.

So I replaced it with a Hauppage PVR-250 and haven't had a problem since.

This was quite some time ago, and I'm thinking to trying the ATI again. This way I'll improve my options for later on (if I decide to try SLI).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users