Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm Vsutil.dll Error Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nosnikta

nosnikta

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

Operating system: XP Media Center sp2

I am trying to uninstall Zone Alarm Pro (purchased) version 6.5.737.000. I have run the uninstall several times but get the error messages, "Could not load the DLL library. c:\Document...\...\...
vsutil.dll [Is64bit]" and "Could not load the DLL library. c:\Document...\...\...vsutil.dll [WSERmdr]"

I tried shutting down Zone Alarm, rebooting, and uninstalling but got the same message.

I found a copy of the vsutil.dll file in the Zone Alarm repair directory and copied it over the old dll file and tried to uninstall again. Got the same message.

I tried to reinstall the latest update version from my hard drive, but got the same message.

Zone Alarm continues to run, but at this point I'm not certain it's doing what it should.

Any ideas how I can rid myself of Zone Alarm?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

Hi nosnikta and Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
There is a thread Here with a discussion about uninstalling and reinstalling ZoneAlarm that you should find helpful.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 nosnikta

nosnikta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the welcome and assist, TMack.

I had already seen the thread yesterday before I wrote in. I was concerned that the solution offered worked when zone alarm had been successfully, though only partially, uninstalled. My unistall operation bombed before any file activity could take place. I wasn't certain that the solution would work if zone alarm was still installed and potentially operating.

I download the zfix file offered in the thread and have it at the ready. I also found a rather lengthy manual removal protocol outlined on the Zone Labs website. I suspect that the zfix file may, in fact, be a programmed version of the Zone Labs solution. Before I use either option, I'm going to wait a day to see if any thing else pops up specific to my symptoms.

If you hear of anything, give me a holler. Thanks again for responding to my plea.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:18 AM

Did you try just reinstalling ZA and then uninstalling it or did you try the uninstaller in the ZA program itself instead of add/remove programs (accessed through the ZA entry on your programs menu)?

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 October 2006 - 06:19 AM.

#5 nosnikta

nosnikta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:53 AM

Yep.

I tried reinstalling zone alarm using the latest update file...the installation bombed at the beginning with the very same error messages. I used the Zone Alarm uninstall option first then I tried the system uninstall option. I got the same errors with both.

I think I'm going to try the Zone Labs solution posted on their website. Right now I'm without virus protection (Norton 2007 won't load with Zone Alarm on the system) and a firewall. I feel very vulnerable...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users