Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Will Not Load

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blonde Girl

Blonde Girl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

My computer was working perfectly fine earlier, but as soon as I shut down a computer game I had been playing, my Desktop started to act up; I couldn't click on anything. So I manually restarted my computer (I've done this before without any problems), only this time, I couldn't get my desktop to load correctly.

The computer will begin to load like it normally would, but then a screen came up with a message saying it needed to check for 'disc inconsistencies'. After it had finished, the blue screen where I would type in my password (and then be directed to my desktop) loaded, but there was no place to insert my password. The only thing on the screen is my cursor and the Microsoft Windows XP logo. There is nothing to click on, and my task manager isn't even popping up.

Windows XP was already installed in this computer when I bought it, so I don't have a disc. However, I do have system recovery discs saved, but I'm leery about using them right now because I don't want to lose all of the saved material on my hard drive. Is there anyway I can fix this problem without having to kiss all my downloads goodbye?

Note: Please use small words -- I'm not very technologically astute.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Silivar

Silivar

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

I had a similar problem before. I'm not completely sure what I did about it, but if I recall correctly, it ended with a reinstallation of Windows.

That's a last resort, however. I just did that because I didn't feel like working out the problem. I didn't lost any stored data on my hard drive, but I reinstalled from a Windows CD. A restore CD would likely cause a loss of any data.

If you have any way to get hold of Windows Xp disk, I'd suggest trying the repair console. It's unlikely, judging by the problem, but you may have a corrupted boot sector. Still, I don't think it would boot into Windows, if that were the case.

Corrupted account data could cause that, I suppose, but I don't know for sure. Shutting down your computer while it's running can cause corruption of data, it's happened to me.

Try booting into Safe Mode. I'm not sure if that'll bypass the user account screen, or if it'll rectify your problem, but it's worth a try. If it boots into safe mode, there's hope for it.

#3 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

If you boot into sofemode, and you have not set the password yourself then the username is admin and the password is not to type anything and press enter, then choose last know good configuration' not to worry about the restore because you can probably move your harddrive to another comp and slave it getting your info back, then return it to this computer making it master again and restore
everyday is a gift

#4 Blonde Girl

Blonde Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:45 PM

I restarted my computer in Safe Mode as you suggested, but that same blue screen with the logo comes on like before.

Edit: I'm going to purchase the Windows XP disk tomorrow, so hopefully reinstalling will help. If not, I guess I have no other choice than to restore my entire system.

Edited by Blonde Girl, 16 October 2006 - 10:07 PM.

#5 indiandan

indiandan

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

if youhave another computer to use,take your hard out,dont change the jumbers on it.unplug cdrom drive on second computer,plug hard drive in to that cable.backup data.after backing up data reinstall hard drive in your computer. if using windows xp disk boot from cdrom do not do the first repair[it recoveryconsole],the next repair section will ask for fresh install or would you like to repair yes.this one is easier to use it called OS repair
Dan Hollingsworth
A+ certified
Mircosoft certified professional

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

Just my 2 cents here - but I've found that a USB hard drive caddy is the best way to do this (about $20). Just put your hard drive in the caddy, then plug it into the USB port of another computer.

Then you'll have the caddy on hand any time that you need it - and if you need another hard drive it's simple just to put one in the caddy and go!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

If you have the Restore disk and are going to reinstall Windows anyway you may as well use the manufacturer's restore disk to return your computer to the state it was in when new.

Follow the directions to back up your data first (either remove the hard drive and install it as a slave drive in another computer or get the USB caddy as usasma suggested and copy your data either to the other computer or burn it to cds.

What brand of computer do you have and what model?
What exactly does it say on the Restore disk?

The Manufacturer's restore disk may have a repair option - some do, and that would supposedly prevent data loss and worth trying.

You might also try to open the Recovery Console to repair Windows (if it has been installed on your computer) by using Windows Setup Boot Disks which you can download here:
How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users